I'd like to jump in a moment:

I just returned last night from a 2300 km filter test /R&D run and
climate change presentation in Northern Alberta, through BC and Alberta
wilderness and the winter snow. (Some pics on our site later today I
hope)

This was  most definitely in the land of big turbodiesel pickups and
gas guzzling SUV's, where people feel they really need them to get
around, in their region of trees, coal and oil resource extraction on
the biggest scale you can imagine.

I hardly saw a car and every time I parked, there was a Cummins, a
Duramax or a PowerStroke beside me, left running, BTW, as it the habit
in winter - even when it is only about -5C it seems! It's the cool
thing to do, apparently to start you Cummins (the noisemakers) about
5AM, and then go back into the motel for about an hour, even though
it's been plugged in all night! Wake up everybody, the Cummins is up,
you should be too!

Some days the owners do, of course, need these things, but almost all
the ones I saw were empty and the funny thing is, a 4 cylinder
turbodiesel got me and 120+ litres of fuel (when I left here), tools,
clothing, computer and digital video studio there and back, at temps as
low as -15C, and at over 50 mpg (average speed around 100 km/h)

Then this morning, after 16 hours on the road yesterday, and a bit of
sleep last night, my kids woke me up and I started up on WVO (long
story, and no I did not forget to switch!) and I took them and their
backpacks to school in the same vehicle (two teens). We also carry
their mountain bikes, snowboards and skis around with a Thule roof rack.

Front wheel drive, good winter tires, food and water, some basic tools
and spares and you are all set. I was literally out there with the
wolves (quick, toss them a jug of WVO!, on the so-called "Scenic Route
to Alaska", in February.

  It's often the  overconfident 4x4 SUV drivers that go in the ditch,
often on their roofs, around here.

Quality? The Jetta is a 91, with 300,000 km on it. Drives like new with
a new set of struts just installed, and gets about 60 mpg. Very few
rattles, although a few of the spiffy ground effects plastic bits have
gone missing on some rough roads over the years, I will admit!

It also boasts a very healthy top speed, BTW, of course that was
"closed course, professional driver".

Anyway, I'll take the Euro-spec Caravan with the turbodiesel, please,
or a VW Sharan TDI or Toyota 4x4 turbodiesel van....any of the above
can be put in a container and donated, please, (left hand drive
preferred) - that will be nicer for future meetings and long trips.
Just send a mid-nineties model to Vancouver, someone, and I will pick
it up there...the Jetta will wear out one of these days...NOT ( I
recently talked to a prospector/TDI owner who had just "retired" his 86
Jetta TD at 1.3 MILLION kilometers, on a head gasket and radiator
replacement and regular maintenance.

Oh, would I have preferred to have taken a Mercedes, like say the 83 TD
I used to have,  on this trip? No way. Just my opinion.

;-)

Edward Beggs
http://www.biofuels.ca