Hi Hakan

>Disturbing facts around the US/UK war in Iraq, as I see them.

Disturbing, yes. A good analysis. Here's a bit more to distuirb you...

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=15&ItemID=3148
Donald Rumsfeld And Poison Gas
by Stephen Kerr
February 27, 2003
"... It may seem strange that the man who demands the complete
disarmament of Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons would actively plan
to use them himself."

>Judge by yourself and please give me unemotional arguments and parameters
>to change my view, I would be very happy it I could find comfort in the
>actions now suggested by US/UK. I cannot mobilize such confidence in
>Bush/Blair, that would help me to support a Gulf War II and the situation
>disturbs me very much. Please try to be factual, because I will not be
>convinced by name calling or non factual arguments and it will not help me.
>If I could belive in something that will happen with or without my opinion,
>I would sleep and feel better, if I could belive in it and that it is a
>cause worth all the lifes that will be taken, innocent and not innocent.
>
>One very positive thing that is likely to happen, regardless of war or not
>war, is a mobilization of resources to produce biofuels. It would give a
>tremendous boost for energy saving and alternative energy sources.
>Unfortunately or maybe by design, it would also boost utilization of
>nuclear and coal.
>
>Iraq is govern by the elected Baath party and it's elected leader Saddam
>Hussein. It is common opinion in the Western world that those elections was
>non democratic and that it is in reality a dictatorship. It is also a
>common opinion that the regime does not respect human rights and are using
>violence to suppress the people. The descriptions of the ruthless regime
>are probably very close to reality. Rule by terror might be correct as
>description of Iraq and many other nations in the world, including the
>current Israeli rule over the Palestinian territories. Some people point at
>the lack of consistence in the US policies.
>
>It is samples of that the regime protected themselves by political
>executions and disappearances. The question of the many disappearances of
>Kuwaiti citizens is also a very important issue. The same with Iranian
>prisoners of war. It can be a very strong case for war crimes against the
>Iraqi regime and its brutalities.
>
>Iraq, because of the war with Iran and the gulf war, is a very crippled
>nation. Close to 90% of the population consist of children under 16, women
>and elderly. Less than 20% of the population have the rights to vote.
>
>Iraq have suffered for more than a decade from one of the few effective
>blockades in the world history. It is reports from credible international
>help organizations, that the blockade have caused substantial death and
>reduction of quality of life in Iraq.

It's killed hundreds of thousands of children, apart from anything
else. However, from my point of view, with a great interest in food
security issues, there's been a very interesting response in Iraq to
the blockade, that I don't see anybody discussing:

"The ration program is regarded by the United Nations as the largest
and most efficient food-distribution system of its kind in the world.
It has also become what is perhaps Saddam's most strategic tool to
maintain popular support over the last decade."

> [...]
>that claimed more than 250,000 Iraqi lives, the government flooded
>the market with subsidized luxury imports, including Scotch whiskeys
>and French cheeses.
>
>"You could get as much as you wanted," Zaia said.
>
>But all that ended after Iraqi tanks rolled into Kuwait on August 2,
>1990. By August 6, the U.N. Security Council had slapped a trade
>embargo on Iraq.
>
>Trade Minister Mohammed Mehdi Saleh said he was summoned by Sad dam
>four days later and ordered to develop a system to ration the
>country's remaining food stockpile. "His excellency was very
>worried," Saleh said in an interview. "He did not want the people of
>Iraq to go hungry."
>
>Saleh settled on a system where the government would print ration
>books and place large quantities of food at several warehouses
>around the country. Fifty thousand merchants were signed up to be
>"retailers," requiring them to pick up sacks of food from the
>warehouses and dole out portions to people in their neighborhoods in
>exchange for a nominal payment from the recipient.
>
>The system was operational in weeks and it continued during the Gulf
>War, making Saleh something of a national hero. "Twelve of our
>drivers were martyred in the bombing," he said, using the common
>word for those who die in war. "But we refused to let the Americans
>stop us."
>
>After the war, before Iraq accepted a U.N. deal to sell its oil to
>buy food, the rations were fairly meager. The 1,275 daily calorie
>content was about half of what nutritionists recommended, enough to
>keep people from starving but not to prevent malnutrition,
>particularly among children.
>
>"It just barely kept us from starving," Zaia Yawo said.
>
> In 1996, Saddam reached a deal with the United Nations whereby Iraq
>would openly sell some oil on the world market and use the proceeds
>to purchase food and medicine. In 1998, the U.N. Security Council
>decided to expand the program by allowing Iraq to sell as much oil
>as it wanted to fund humanitarian goods.
>
>Iraq now spends about $3.6 billion a year to buy food under the
>oil-for-food program, which amounts to about $11 per person per
>month. Although the shipments are just a fraction of the value of
>the country's pre-war food imports, they are enough for Iraq to
>provide a daily ration that is close to U.N. nutritional guidelines.
>
>Many Iraqis credit Saddam with keeping them fed under the sanctions,
>which have been cast by his government as an American plot to harm
>the Iraqi people.
>
>The U.S. government "hoped the sanctions would lead to hunger, which
>would lead to disruption and anger, so the political system could be
>changed," said Trade Minister Saleh. "But we proved the failure of
>this theory."
>
>Some here express a dissenting view. "Why should we thank him?" a
>retired teacher said. "If he didn't invade Kuwait, there would be no

Regards

Keith