>There's a picture of one here:
>http://members.tripod.com/cruzzencarz78/bigcar/37ChC.htm
>1937 Chevrolet Coupe

Well, exactly, I mean just taking a quick look at it, it has *style* man.
I missed that entire era, but as I was saying, I think some of the SUV
thing is a return to a sort of hold-on-a-second we don't need to drive
amoeba-shaped vehicles around just to cheat the wind philosophy.

I think older cars fare better in certain climates.  In upstate NY, where
I'm from, we had some salting of the roads in winters and I think this
would contribute to shortening the lifetime of vehicles.  Now that I'm in
So-Cal (not that much longer) the first day I was here I could see that
there seemed to be some really cool-looking old cars around.  I think there
was some pride-of-ownership to certain neighborhoods, but there was also
the more benign overall climate.  Yes, there's salt from the sea, but on
balance cars seem to fare somewhat better here (people too?  an interesting
scientific question)

As to planned obsolescence that you mention, it's a nasty thing and the
sort of thing I can't mention without thinking I'm being paranoid, but I do
believe they practice it.  I think engines could be made to last longer, if
they spent more.  I also think it's a point in favor of EVs, in that with
fewer moving parts perhaps they'd last a very long time (with
every-once-in-awhile battery pack replacements).

But on the general topic of SUVs, I want to reitterate that if we take a
hard look at the attitudes of many of the activists, some of us are just
not as dead-set against them for the simplistic reasons sometimes offered.
I'm not a fan precisely in the sense that it does strike me as odd to take
a 5 mile drive to the market in a giant behemoth vehicle, and there are
myriad safety issues in sharing the roads with smaller vehicles (heck, why
don't we all just drive tanks to work?) but they seem to have their role
and for my money, I suppose a Jeep Cherokee looks better than an old
station wagon.

The last major-manufacturer EV offered in California.... very popular with
the few able to get it.. until recently cancelled was a small SUV by the
way.