Hi Hakan

You should prowl around our Small Farms Library a bit, loads of
interesting stuff there. If you liked This Famishing World, and in
view of the UN quote (I feel the same about that, for a LONG time!),
try Weston A Price (THE classic!) and the estimable Dr Wrench (and
then McCarrison et al). Those who know this ground-breaking work
shake their heads at the efforts of modern medicine and
nutritionists. No use how smart you are and how wonderful your
equipment if you start in the wrong place and head in the wrong
direction.

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html
Small Farms Library - Journey to Forever

>Keith,
>
>Very interesting reading and especially if you think that it was
>from 1918. In those times the nutrition was much more of a
>medical science than today. All geared up to keep a body that
>would survive illnesses that was fatal at time. A knowledge that
>should be saved and used even today.

Very good point!

>The arrival of antibiotics was a "silver bullet" for this situation and
>this valuable knowledge started to be disregarded. Something that
>I belive was a big loss. Malnutrition is a serious problem, even in
>the more developed countries, but is masked by successful
>treatment of illnesses.

The other side of this coin is over-use, and sheer abuse - the abuse
being in agricultural antibiotics use. The nemesis of this hubris is
now upon us, with last line of defence antibiotics now useless
against several killer diseases. The first *official* warnings of
this danger came more than 30 years ago. Bayer, eg, was still in
denial about it until very recently, maybe they still are - the
bottom line is so much more important!

See "Antibiotic use":
http://journeytoforever.org/fyi_previous2.html#0405

>I was involved some years ago in Swedish donation campaigns for
>"barefoot doctors" and education in third world countries. One of the
>UN statistics that stayed in my mind since then is the following
>statement,
>
>"Two thirds of the world children have irreparable brain damages
>because of malnutrition, half of them because of lack of food and
>half of them because of religious beliefs or traditions. It is dependent
>on the mothers nutrition during the pregnancy and the child's
>nutrition during the first 9 month. A mother with a proper diet who
>is breast feeding, is the best guarantee for a healthy child and it's
>future".

Again, read Weston Price! Please!
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#price

and:
The Wheel of Health by G.T. Wrench
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#Wrench_WoH

And, for the downside:
http://www.rachel.org/bulletin/bulletin.cfm?Issue_ID=1646&bulletin_ID=48

"Chiefly because of this false advertising [of infant formula],
according to UNICEF, 1.5 million infants die each year because their
mothers unwittingly prepare infant formula with contaminated water,
causing fatal diarrhea."

This is a shocking story.

Re the brain damage, protein deficiencies in the first five years
will permanently stunt brain growth.

>This means that it is a serious problem were 50% can and must be
>addressed only by education.  It is therefore not only a problem
>of poverty and lack of resources. It is only 50% is an availability
>and resource problem.
>
>I learned this 30 years ago and it is still not common knowledge.
>It should be screamed out from all the rooftops in the world. I always
>state this whenever i get an opportunity and this is one of them. By
>improving this we will give the world more people capable of making
>biofuels and avoided the Saddam/George problem. This to prove it's
>relevance as topic for this list.

All the same subject as far as I'm concerned, and I think you as
well, though others will no doubt disagree.

Regards

Keith