>Kieth:
>
>I read the news story by  Ms. Tomchick.  What about this paragraph?
>
>"By that time the Clinton administration was on its way out, unable to
>make any firm promises. Clinton managed to extract a promise from
>North Korea, however, to halt testing of long-range missiles,
>although no one really believed that North Korea has completely
>stopped work on its long-range missile program. After all, missiles
>are one of North Korea's main exports. (Remember the ship bearing
>North Korean missiles to Yemen that was stopped in the Persian Gulf a
>few weeks ago?)"
>
>no one really believed that North Korea has completely stopped work on its
>long-range missile program.

... after six years of waiting in vain for the US to keep its
promises? I think your reading of the story is very weird. Before
your quote it says:

>  North Korea held up its end of the deal, and so did Japan. But the
>  Clinton administration had a tougher time selling this deal to
>  Congress. Congress okayed the fuel oil, but refused to approve the
>  two commercial nuclear plants. Providing any kind of nuclear
>  materials to North Korea was verboten. Indeed, it's possible that
>  Clinton knew he didn't have the votes in Congress to approve the two
>  plants; he may have agreed to that part of the deal simply for
>  expediency's sake. (In other words, he struck a deal that made him
>  look tough and statesman-like while probably knowing that he couldn't
>  deliver on his end and thinking that he could stall long enough to
>  leave the problem to a future president.)
>
>  In the meantime, North Korea got tired of waiting for construction to
>  begin on its two promised plants...

Right?

>Did not North Korea announced it had also all along had worked on it's
>nuclear weapons program. It had two working nuclear weapons, plus producing
>one new nuke per month?    So what exactly did North Korea give up per the
>original agreement.

So what exactly did the US provide in terms of its promises?

>I am confused why is the US the rogue nation?

Well, if you really want to know, try William Blum:

http://members.aol.com/superogue/homepage.htm
Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower
by William Blum, author of
Killing Hope: US Military and CIA Interventions Since World War 2

>I am not sure what the answer is, but how can North Korea be trusted on any
>agreement.

How can the US?

http://www.infact.org/cowboyd.html
COWBOY DIPLOMACY:
How the US Undermines International Environmental,
Human Rights, Disarmament and Health Agreements

... and the rest!

>I don't think bribing North Korea, to be good, is working.

That's not stopping the US trying to bribe just about everyone else
at the moment, when it comes to "allies" and Security Council members
especially, and spying on and wire-tapping the latter, and when
bribes don't work it quickly turns to threats and bullying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/07/opinion/07KRUG.html
Let Them Hate as Long as They Fear

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/27/international/27WEB-TNAT.html?ex=104
7447483&ei=1&en=c49116966b23e15e
U.S. Diplomat's Letter of Resignation

http://santafenewmexican.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=7234803&BRD=2144&PAG
=461&dept_id=367954&rfi=6
Santa Fe New Mexican
Few Major U.S. Media Outlets Pick up U.K. Report of U.S. Plans to Spy
on U.N. Members
03/02/2003
In a story not yet picked up by the Associated Press, CNN, The New
York Times and many other major U.S.-based news outlets, the U.K.
newspaper The Observer published a leaked secret memo written by an
official of the National Security Agency, instructing staff to tap
the business and home phones and e-mail of key swing vote delegates
to the U.N. Security Council.
Here's the link to the full story on The Observer site.
http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,905899,00.html
Revealed: US dirty tricks to win vote on Iraq war

Published on Friday, February 28, 2003 by The Nation
Buying a Coalition
by William D. Hartung and Michelle Ciarrocca

And, why not... Check out Nicholas Kristof's column yesterday in the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/07/opinion/07KRIS.html

Losses, Before Bullets Fly
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
March 7, 2003
Last week a member of the Canadian Parliament for the ruling party,
Carolyn Parrish, was caught on television declaring: "Damn Americans.
I hate those bastards."

Then the Toronto Globe and Mail newspaper conducted a (hopelessly
unscientific) poll on its Web site, asking Canadians whether they
agreed that "Americans are behaving like `bastards.' " The returns
aren't good: as of yesterday, 51 percent were saying yes.

When even the Canadians, normally drearily polite, get colorfully
steamed at us, we know the rest of the world is apopleptic. After
all, the latest invective comes on top of the prime minister's
spokesman calling George Bush a "moron" last fall.

Canada's incivility is a reminder that the U.S. and its allies are
slugging one another to death while Iraq watches from the sidelines.
If, as Mr. Bush suggested in a press conference last night, the U.S.
may lose a vote in the U.N. and then promptly go to war anyway, the
internecine warfare within the West will grow far worse.

The U.S. debate on the antipathy toward us has been misleading, I
think, in its focus on France. (There's now an American bumper
sticker: "Iraq Now, France Next.") It's not just the prickly Gauls
who are taking potshots at us - it's even our buddies, like the
Canadians and the Irish.

In a survey, The Sunday Independent newspaper of Ireland polled
Dublin residents about whom they feared most, Saddam Hussein or
George Bush. The result: 39 percent picked Saddam; 60 percent, Mr.
Bush. Even in Britain, a poll by The Sunday Times of London found
that equal numbers called Saddam and Mr. Bush the "greatest threat to
world peace."

So let's take stock of how our invasion of Iraq is going. The Western
alliance is ferociously strained, NATO is paralyzed, America is
resented by millions, the United Nations is in crisis, U.S. pals like
Tony Blair are being skewered at home, North Korea has exploited our
distraction to crank up plutonium production, oil prices have surged,
and the world financial markets have sagged.

And the war hasn't even begun yet.

Of course, one school of thought holds it doesn't much matter that
the United States is perceived as the world's newest Libya. If the
Canadians don't like us, we can always exercise the military option
and push our border up to 54-40.

But global attitudes do matter. Before the first gulf war, Secretary
of State James Baker made three visits to Turkey. This time around,
Secretary of State Colin Powell hasn't visited once. So it's not
surprising that Turkey refused to accept U.S. troops, impairing our
plans for a northern offensive.

President Bush is now making great progress in the war against Al
Qaeda. And that's happening because Mr. Bush was willing to work with
the Pakistani leaders; what made the difference was not just our
military power, but also our diplomacy.

Of course, the U.S. may have a solid plan, as Jay Leno said:
"President Bush may be the smartest military president in history.
First he gets Iraq to destroy all of their own weapons. Then he
declares war."

The worry is that we're already taking such losses, in terms of our
alliances, that one wonders what will happen when the hard part
begins - the day after Saddam has toppled, when we may see Shiites
slaughtering Sunnis in southern Iraq; thousands of armed Iraqi exiles
pouring in from Iran; Turks and Kurds fighting over the Kirkuk oil
wells in northern Iraq; Iraqi military officers trying to peddle
anthrax and VX gas; and radical Islamists trying to take control of
nuclear-armed Pakistan.

As one savvy official observed, occupying Baghdad comes at an
"unpardonable expense in terms of money, lives lost and ruined
regional relationships." Another expert put it this way: "We should
not march into Baghdad. . . . To occupy Iraq would instantly shatter
our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us, and make a
broken tyrant into a latter-day Arab hero . . . assigning young
soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and
condemning them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban
guerrilla war. It could only plunge that part of the world into even
greater instability."

Those comments may overemphasize the risks, but they are from
top-notch analysts whose judgments I respect. The first comment was
made by Colin Powell in a Foreign Affairs essay in 1992; the second
is in "A World Transformed," a 1998 book by the first President Bush.

>So
>why should North Korea be trusted again?

Why should the US?

Keith

>Harley

Yahoo! Web Hosting makes it easy to build a professional web site.
Sign up today and get free set-up, domain name, and more (up to a $100 value)
http://us.click.yahoo.com/m3JvCD/wCpFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM