>Well put.   I am old enough to know a few veterans of Viet Nam.
>Some will not talk about what they did.  Some do. After returning
>home, one went 'down the pike' to the lowest levels on drugs and
>alcohol.  A "streeter". Most of the guys he went with died over a
>few  years, as the lowest dregs of society.  Bums.  Fogged in drugs
>and alcohol. That would have been his fate too, but somehow he
>survived.
>
>What I am getting at is, for the sake of society, and the young
>soldiers, war better be fully justified, or it will create burden
>that gets paid for again and again over time, with the twisting of
>minds of young soldiers.
>
>Ed B

That seems to be what they think too, or some of them at least.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=15356
Veterans' Letter to the President
By Veterans For Common Sense
http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/
March 11, 2003
The following letter was signed by 1,000 war veterans and given to
the President on March 10, 2003.
<snip>
Another veterans' group, Veterans Against Iraq War is organizing
three days of protest in Washington D.C. from March 22 to March 24.
http://www.vaiw.org/vet/index.php

Others also think so:

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=15&ItemID=3255

Support Our Troops

by Michael Albert
March 17, 2003

IRAQ

If war comes even despite the historic, tenacious, and comprehensive
opposition now raging across the planet, the U.S. government will
proclaim triumphantly that everyone who isn't a traitor needs to
rally around Washington to "support our troops." Opponents of the war
could opt for many possible replies.

We could point out that our troops in Iraq are barely in danger at
all because they are assaulting a tenth-rate opponent that has no
serious means to defend Iraq much less to attack the world's sole
superpower.

We could point out that while perhaps a few hundred U.S. troops will
die in this war, way over 50,000 U.S. citizens will die in the next
12 months due to workplace accidents and death by industry-caused
diseases and automobile accidents (not to mention the impact of
pollution and unsafe products). We could then query why this massive
yearly blight on our population, roughly 15 times as devastating as
9/11, doesn't provoke a war on corporations' profit-seeking
violations of their employees' and consumers' health and safety.

Or we could point out that the lives of American troops are no more
worthy of compassionate support than the lives of Iraqis, and that we
didn't kill Hussein a million times over with our decade-long
sanctions but we instead killed a million Iraqis once each -- with
Hussein getting stronger as each new corpse was added to the carnage.

And of course we could explain how unleashing a campaign to "shock
and awe" a country is unjust and immoral, how it is an archetype
example of the terrorism we say we are against.

But for myself, I think that perhaps a different approach might work
better, and so if war does come, I intend to reply to the demand to
support our troops by saying that yes, I too "support our troops."

I will reply that I support our troops not having to kill people in Iraq.

I support our troops not being ordered to assault defenseless
populations, towns, farms, and the infrastructural sinews of life
that sustain a whole country's citizenry.

I support our troops not having to carry out orders from Commander in
Chief George Bush and then having to live the rest of their lives
wondering why they obeyed such a barbaric buffoon rather than
resisting his illegitimate, immoral authority.

And for the same reason, I support the Pope and the Dalai Lama going
to Iraq in the place of our troops, as human shields and also to aid
those Iraqis who have already suffered under our sanctions and bombs
as well as under the violence of Hussein who was, of course,
previously the recipient of U.S. military aid and even U.S. guidance
in his horrible undertakings.

In fact, I support all rabbis and priests and other moral leaders
going to Iraq as human shields - and all past Noble Peace Prize
winners -- and all past winners of any big peace or humanitarian
prize at all, anywhere -- and heads of state, for that matter.

I support our troops not dying in Iraq figuratively or literally,
physically or psychologically. I support our troops coming home with
their hearts not broken, retaining humanity and compassion essential
to feeling true solidarity with those who confront tyrannical
behavior abroad, or right here in the U.S. with its 30 million
tyrannized poor.

I support our troops coming home with their minds ravenous to
comprehend what is wrong with war for empire, what is wrong with war
to obliterate international law, what is wrong with war to control
oil and use it as a bludgeon against allies and enemies alike, what
is wrong with war for profit, what is wrong with war to intimidate
whole nations and continents, what is wrong with war to subordinate a
planet and even to test and trumpet the tools of war.

What must it do to one's mind and soul to engage as a soldier in a
war in which the enemy is defenseless, in which the motives of one's
leaders are vile, and in which one's own say over the events is nil?

I support our troops refusing to kill on behalf of politicians and
profiteers. I support our troops rebelling against orders, not
obeying them. I support our troops rejecting reasons of state. And I
support our troops coming home to where their real battle is.

We must battle to reinvest our society with aspirations for justice
and equality and with respect for diversity, solidarity, and
self-management.

We must battle to eliminate the scourge of private ownership that
makes a few people as rich as whole populations and that leaves many
people less rich than the pets of profiteers.

We must battle to totally eradicate the racism and sexism that
denigrate whole sectors of the population, to free sexuality and
culture, to free creativity, and to sustain the environment.

Bush tells us to bomb Iraq on grounds Iraq may have bombs. He tells
us to bomb Iraq on grounds Iraq curtails freedoms. He tells us to
bomb Iraq on grounds Iraq may be abetting terrorism.

What then should we do about a country that has by far the most bombs
in the world and that uses them most widely-and that brags about it
shamelessly?

What should we do about a country that is currently curtailing
freedoms abroad and moving to do so at home with a dangerously
escalating vigor-and that brags about it shamelessly?

And what should we do about a country that is producing terrorism
most aggressively - both terrorism directed at others and also
terrorism which will be unleashed against us in reply-and that brags
about it shamelessly.

What should we do about the U.S.? We should curtail its belligerency,
change its regime, and fundamentally revolutionize its centers of
wealth and power.

Support our troops, bring them home.

Support our troops, provide them housing.

Support our troops, provide them health care.

Support our troops, provide them socially valuable jobs.

Turn military bases into industrial centers for the production of low
cost housing, schools, hospitals, daycare centers, rail lines, inner
city parks, and other social and public goods that can enrich rather
than snuff out life.

Support our troops and one day they will join the fight for unlimited
justice for all.

Support our troops.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM