  From: Darryl McMahon
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 2:28 PM
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] Electric generators

  AFAIK, the use of an "exciting" circuit is restricted to DC generators.  This
is
  where there is a separate field winding, e.g. shunt, compound or
separately-excited
  configurations.  Not applicable to series wound DC motors (which are
notoriously
  difficult to get to work as stable generators).

  I have an acquaintance who is using a single-phase AC motor as an alternator
on a
  daily basis.  He has not mentioned any special wiring set ups.

  I have used an old furnace fan motor this way, and measured AC current being
  produced.  Voltage was low due to low rpms on the motor.  Single phase motor,
no
  extra wiring done.  Did not have equipment available to measure frequency.
Done
  just to satisfy my own curiousity.

  During the 1998 ice storm, there were a couple of articles on this topic
stating
  that if you could find a way to turn the AC motor that was to serve as an
  alternator, and then just hook up wires from it to the furnace power
connections,
  that should be sufficient to turn the AC furnace fan motor.

  Darryl McMahon