Martin asked:

> Darryl, where do you live? I live in Northern New York. Our electricity
> was out for about 2 weeks I think.

I am based in Ottawa, Ontario.  We are at the edge of the main urban area
(inside
Greenbelt), and our power was out about 12 hours.  After that, we provided
support
to friends who were without power up to 18 days, about 30 minutes drive from
downtown.

Since then I have set us up so that old batteries (too weak to power the
electric
car, but with some reasonable remaining capacity) can power an inverter to run
the
furnace, I estimate for up to 12 hours of operation before recharging is
required
(which could be enough for up to 4 days given typical furnace duty cycle,
longer if
it is warm or the sun is shining).

Now that we are ready, I expect we should never require its use (reverse Murphy
logic).  If I happen to acquire a couple of good sized PV panels, I might put
the
whole package together as a UPS for the computer - the number of power glitches
this winter (under a second) have been rather annoying.  I am hoping the
province's
current misguided campaign to induce folks to install PV panels may result in
some
bargains in a couple of years.

Darryl McMahon

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM