Girl Mark,

This about what it takes to produce gasoline or diesel is a bit
elusive, since you start with a certain amount of energy. I do not
remember the numbers, but I think that it takes much more oil
to make diesel than biodiesel. It is basically arguments and some
acrobatic mathematics, all to support a particular interest  and use
the short memory of people who actually learned more in the basic
school curriculum, but not remember it.

The question should not be how much oil it takes to produce, but
how much do you get from a given amount. If you get something
out of a given amount, the process is positive. To say the it take
1.5 kg crude oil to get 1 kg of diesel or 1.2 kg of veg oil to get
1 kg of biodiesel, are both very efficient processes. Compare it
with hydrogen, where you need 500 kg of water to get 1 kg of
hydrogen (not really right on measurements, only done for the
purpose of description). As long as you get something, the
process is positive and then it comes down to availability of
feedstock, cost and feasibility.

Crude oil is a limited amount available, but both veg oil and water
is renewable. Imagine the size of production equipment, investment,
energy to make the plant, etc., biodiesel is very feasible and
hydrogen very questionable.

I think that the philosophy of efficiency of "from well to wheel" say
a lot more. It include the feedstock and the end use. It is closer to
reality, but give very low efficiency numbers as such and is less
usable in the marketing of a specific technology.

Hakan

At 11:53 PM 4/17/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I've been looking for some data on how much energy goes into making
>gasoline, and how much into other fuels. The general public always asks the
>life cycle analysis question about biodiesel: is it sustainable to grow and
>harvest all those plants and transport them soewhere to make fuel... to
>which the answer is of coiurse that it's been extensively studied and comes
>out looking quite good in the life cycle analysis. But I seem to remember
>having heard somewhere that gasoline and diesel require quite a bit of
>energy in the refining process, and that the numbers on that (how much
>energy goes into produding a certain unit of energy of gasoline or diesel)
>were a good statistic to compare biodiesel's lifecycle analysis to. It
>takes more "energy in" to make biodiesel than it does to refine gasoline,
>but I'd like to know if anyone has the exact information handy somewhere.
>
>mark

Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/FGYolB/TM