Yes the .1% lye solution is OK in #1 pop bottle plastic, though lye
in a concentrated form supposedly eats through this plastic.

So do rats, I just found out tonight. I went to pick up some of my
stuff from a storage room of a university where I taught a class a
couple of weeks ago, and the 'stuff' happened to be a few #1 plastic
bottles (thinner than pop bottles, these were Crisco oil bottles) of
fuel and "reprocess tests" that students had made. WHich I;d stored
in a cardboard box in a nice dark corner for a couple of weeks.

"I don't remember that box looking so haggard" I thought. We lifted
the box, and found beneath it a rat nest made out of chewed up
cardboard, and a whole lot of biodiesel pooling on the floor. Inside
the box was a completely empty sample bottle, chewed to shreds. It
took a little thinking to figure out if it was chemical or biological
attack= it almost looked like biodiesel had reacted with the wrong
plastic or something, but no, there was the lid in shreds with fang
marks on it.

 I wonder if the rat survived- it was some viciously alkaline stuff-
a reprocess test (very soapy, and I have heard that rats like to eat
hard soap)

mark

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z_CBYA/vB5FAA/AG3JAA/FGYolB/TM