Mark,

Earlier I was curious if you were using oil or an oil/fat blend (WVO).
Should it be presumed that the feedstock at the beginning of the second
stage and prior to reheating is still liquid? If so, should it be presumed
that there was a layer of extra alcohol above the oil, perhaps slightly
darkened?

If so, and were it me, I'd separate the feedstock from such a layer and then
conduct the second stage, just to isolate variables. Second, if you're
getting "jelly" out of a SVO, you might wish to back off the caustic some.
Jelly, or glop soap is a condition that results from too much caustic in the
presence of water. It doesn't take much to push what is primarily a
transesterification reaction into one that is directed towards
saponification (soap making, aka "jelly").

You might (or perhaps might not) care to take a look here.
"how to" that runs the base side of an acid base experiment in three
separate stages, rather than all at once.

That's not to declare that it should be done in such a manner. But it does
indicate that glycerin drop in the second stage can occur with less than a
requisite amount of caustic.

Take your time and take no short cuts. It works and works well.

Todd Swearingen