> how much do you know that reducing the speed limit again would help?

Personally, I can only offer that it is simple physics. It takes energy to move
mass, and more energy to move mass faster. Certainly technology has improved
the efficiency of vehicles, but technology has yet to circumvent the laws of
physics.
A simple test one can very effectively do would require a bicycle. Peddle hard
and get it going as fast as you can, then try to maintain that speed. It should
not take long to notice a significant loss of speed without a great investment
of more and more energy.

We can also look at some of the work done in 1995, which is admittedly a bit
old, but helpful.
 http://www.epa.gov/otaq/reports/env-spds.htm
http://www.trucktires.com/library/technical/bftechnical/fuel_economy_b.htm

Of course I could be wrong about the actual percentages, there are certainly a
great many variables to consider, but I am not wrong that it requires more
energy to move mass faster. Slowing down will save energy. Finding a compromise
between standing still and movement is the real issue. This is why safety,
pollution, cost, and time all enter the equation.

I would certainly welcome any contribution to help clarify and substantiate or
disprove the starting points of 20% to 50% reductions that I have derived from
historical documentation I found so far.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM