At the speeds we are discussing, wind resistance accounts for most of
the energy consumed.  Other sources of energy consumption are rolling
resistance of the tires, which remains constant relative to velocity
(but not vehicle mass), and inefficiencies in the drivetrain and
engine.  Drivetrain inefficiencies remain relatively constant.  Engine
efficiencies, on the other hand, vary greatly largely as a function of
actual torque at a given RPM and peak torque at that RPM.  Efficiency
tends to increase as actual torque approach peak torque.

There is no energy consumed simply because an object is travelling at
a certain velocity; an object in motion tends to stay in motion.  Of
course, there is energy consumed when accelerating or climbing a hill.
 The amount of energy consumed during acceleration or altitude gain is
directly proportional to the mass of the vehicle in question, which is
also the case for rolling resistance.

I have developed an acceleration modeling program which demonstrates
many of these concepts.  Let me know if anyone would like to play with
it and I will send it along.  I can also send a full set of the
applicable equations.

Respectfully,

Forbes

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Klingensmith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>