Here is some more thought provoking parts in my article "the scam artists
at work"

The Hydrogen hype, "the scam artists at work".

As mentioned, it is around 80 years old technologies and have been used in
submarine technologies for a long time. It is often talked about as the
energy solution for the future. The most common source of hydrogen (City
gas), is gasification of coal and it has been used as City gas for a
century. It can be produced by electrolysis of water, but the electricity
needed is very close to the energy gained. If the electricity is produced
by hydrogen also, it becomes negative. The future value of hydrogen is not
really as an energy resource, when not produced from fossil fuels, but more
as a conversion and energy storage method. Only in a situation of large
coal reserves and/or large electricity surplus production, hydrogen would
be valuable as fuel. In short term the large electricity production could
come from nuclear and other traditional sources and on very long term Solar
and Wind production could come into play.

Hydrogen is like the fairy tales. To make 10 kW of Hydrogen from renewable
source like electrolysis of water, you need 9 kW of electricity. Where is
that electricity coming from? You do not need much knowledge to see that it
is not enough hydrogen in this process, to produce more Hydrogen. To
produce electricity from Hydrogen in fuel cells it is 30 to 50% efficiency,
the same as a NG or diesel electricity plants. So if you put your 10 kW of
Hydrogen in a fuel cell, you have 3 to 5 kW to use. Where did the original
9 kW come from? I think that "the scam artists at work" have some basic
(nucleus) plans for this.

Hydrogen was very much in use 50 years ago and is still common in the
former Soviet Union. It is called "City Gas" and produced from gasification
of coal. The major known reserves of coal are in US, Russia and EU. The use
of coal have gone down and with the current use of coal, the known reserves
will last around 200 years (R/P value). For US the R/P value is 235 years,
but in a Hydrogen economy the R/P values will rapidly go down to double
digits. It is a worrying attitude, sold by "the scam artists at work". They
want you to believe that coal is a salvation, even if the usage goes up 3-4
times and that US still would have coal for 235 years. It might come as a
surprise for many, but it does not work that way. The more you use of a
finite resource, the faster it will be finished. For me it is logical, how
about you?

Hakan

If you want to take a look on a project
that is very close to my heart, go to:
http://energysavingnow.com/
http://hakan.vitools.net/ My .Net Card
http://hakan.vitools.org/ About me
http://vitools.com/ My webmaster site
http://playa.nu/ Our small rental activities

"No flag is large enough to cover the shame of
killing innocent people" -- Howard Zinn

"Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.
We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may
wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm
wrinkles the soul." - Unknown

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM