Hello Todd, Pieter and all

>Pieter,
>
>The answer is simple. You most probably can't using readily available
>resources.
>
>While you may be able to find some way to bleach and deodorize the glycerin
>after FFA separation and alcohol removal, you won't be able to improve its
>purity level unless you distill the glycerin, or at least the water that
>resides in it.
>
>Glycerin boils at over 550* F, conserably less under vacuum, which is the
>norm in industry but still energy and engineering intense. And then you have
>to distill the evaporated glycerin.
>
>I believe Keith has pointed to a few solvent reclaimers out there. But they
>run in the thousands and tens of thousands of dollars.

Glycerine purification
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_supply.html#glycpure

>Glycerin refining to the degree that you're suggesting is, at the home
>brewer level, a bit akin to the holy grail. Nobody's "found" it yet.
>
>Of course you could always ferment the glycerin and convert it to ethanol.
>That is if you don't have any particular aversion to working with strains of
>botulinus. Don't think your neighbors, family, friends or the borough health
>department would be too thrilled with you though.

... or chuck the whole by-product into a digester and turn it into
methane. Not by itself though - you also need N stuff and C stuff and
fibre and water.

Best

Keith

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM