The Road To Coverup Is The Road To Ruin
  Robert C. Byrd is a Democratic Senator from West Virginia.
   Editor's Note: The following remarks were delivered on the U.S. Senate floor
on June 24, 2003.
 http://www.tompaine.com/feature2.cfm/ID/8216

 And yet, seven weeks after declaring victory in the war against Iraq,
 we have seen nary a shred of evidence to support his claims of
 grave dangers, chemical weapons, links to Al Qaeda or nuclear weapons. [more]

 In Bush We Trust?
  John Moyers is Editor-in-Chief of TomPaine.com
 http://www.tompaine.com/feature2.cfm/ID/8210

 Opposition worthy of the name would push the GOP-controlled House and Senate
hearings
 beyond the question of what the intelligence community knew about WMD, where
it seems stalled.

 Sen. Jay Rockefeller, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Intelligence
Committee, could invoke
 committee rules that would allow his minority party to launch a full
investigation.  But he won't
 -- reportedly for fear of being seen as partisan.

 If this isn't the time for partisanship -- after all, we're talking about
manipulations that
 led the nation into war -- when is?  Rockefeller's timidity is allowing
committee Republicans
 to cover what looks more every day like a lie of literally global magnitude.
[more]

 An Unnecessary War
  Pat Buchanan [a two time candidate for the Republican U.S. presidential
nomination]
  June 4 2003
 http://www.theamericancause.org/patanunnecessarywar.htm

 What was America's real motive for attacking Iraq?  Was it oil?  Empire?  To
make the Middle East
 safe for Sharon?

 That these questions are being asked, not only by America's critics, is the
fault of the
 administration alone.  For its crucial argument as to why it had no choice but
to launch the
 first preventive war in American history is collapsing like a sand castle in a
rising surf.

 Iraq, in retrospect, was no threat whatsoever to the United States.  We fought
an unnecessary war,
 and now we must rebuild a nation at a rising cost in blood and treasure.

 Before the war, many who opposed it argued that no matter the evil character
of Saddam,
 Iraq had not attacked us, did not threaten us, did not want war with us, could
not defeat us.
 Why then were we about to invade Iraq?   [more]

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM