>  Why did Bill Clinton's "draft dodging" merit 13,641 major news stories,
>  while GW Bush's desertion merit only 49?"
>  http://www.awolbush.com

There are several working theories on that. The first is that Bill Clinton
wasn't exactly prone to playing by the "established" rules and left a long
list of malcontents along the wayside.

The other is that generically speaking (perhaps "genetically?") persons
prone to democratic tendencies are less prone towards antagonistic
behaviors. As a general rule they have an awareness as to the frailties and
foibles of humans, themselves included. On the other hand, those of less
than "democratic persuasion" are more prone to ride roughshod on anything or
anyone, being largly more sympathetic to their own condition (or
state/status) and less empathetic to the conditions of others.

Analysis at any level, macro- or micro-, will yield these differentials.

That's why there are two parties in the US - two separate belief systems.
One works on the principle that everyone does better when everyone does
better. The other works on the principle that if I do well I can help (or
choose not to help) others do better.

Couple the individualistic driven mindset with every fear and paranoia that
the human mind can muster and you end up with a radical, right-wing,
conservative, cut throat, no-holds-barred political fraction (not
mis-spelled).

Democrats, no different than environmentalists, are going to have to take
the gloves off and essentially become just as cut throat as the rabid right,
albeit perhaps a good bit more savvy. The idea of continually "compromising'
one half of whatever fraction of pie remains eventually leaves all the
benefits derived from the pie in one group's possesion and the other group
starving.

Unfortunately, too many want to sup at the manor house and are willing to
compromise away anything in order to obtain such a seat (media, politicians,
you name it) rather than retaining their integrity and supping with the
field help. Their bellies could be equally as full, but there's no gold or
notoriety at that level.

Did I mention having been solicited by Tom Delay's office last month? Three
hundred bucks would have "earned" me the opportunity to sit in focus groups
discussing public policy and a possible meeting with the vice-president? For
$300  I could "help effect public policy."

For those who truly understand how this (US) government was designed to
work, tell me how such pandering hits you?

"Of course," I was told, "a contribution is not mandatory to participate."
(Just that my voice won't be heard unless I grease the greasy palms of Delay
or Cheney.)

No thanks. I'll sit here with the rest of the ants (putting my 300 bucks to
better use) and keep working to topple the elephants. Feast aplenty once the
bastards are down.

Todd Swearingen