A few months ago (May 2003), I started a thread about the legalities
relating to the use of VO in a diesel engine in the U.S.  This
eventually led to the discovery, that the U.S. EPA wants certain
emissions test results, to recognize VO as a legal motor fuel.
Biodiesel went through this process in it's own right, but because of
the chemical differences between biodiesel and VO, VO cannot be
recognized on the basis of the biodiesel test results.

Ed Beggs, of Neoteric Biofuels, Inc., allowed me to forward a thesis he
had written, "Renewable Oil Fuels and Diesel Engines as Components of
Sustainable System Design", to the U.S. EPA.  It was my hope that this
thesis would provide the EPA with the data they were looking for.  I
suspected, however, that the thesis would not be enough.  Even so, I
gambled on the EPA responding with where the data was lacking, so I
could begin to research how to complete the data set.

Jim Caldwell, of the U.S. EPA, has responded back.  It took him about 2
days to respond, so he at least had the time to read the thesis.  As I
had suspected, Jim informed me that the thesis did not contain the
necessary information.  But, he was able to point me to the U.S. EPA's
"Diesel Retrofit Program".  After skimming through the information on
the Retrofit Program, I've found a section which offers alternative
fuels as, for lack of a better way to say it, a 'retrofit' to reduce
emissions.  It also appears that a wealth of documentation, test plans,
and other requirements are available.

So, what does this mean in the end?  My quest to get VO accepted by the
U.S. EPA as a legal motor fuel might just have a chance.  At least I
have access to a method for submitting the right information the right
way, to the EPA.  I'll be reading over the information on this program
over the next few days/weeks, as I have spare time.  Hopefully, then, I
can draw up some kind of feasable plan to get regulations pushed through
the EPA.

If anyone cares to help in some way (I'm certainly don't have the
facilities or knowledge, yet, to complete what I'm attempting), I'd be
glad to accept it.  If not, expect to be hit with questions as I learn
how to make this happen.

-detrick