In a message dated 9/1/03 8:45:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Explosions of methane gas erupting from beneath the ocean floor with a
> force
> 10,000 times more powerful than the world's stockpile of nuclear weapons
> could explain the mass extinction of more than 70 percent of life that
> occurred on Earth 250 million years ago.

I have trouble with this hypothesis.  Some time back I realized that the
quantity of fossil fuel on this planet (based on known reserve calculations)
represented only a minor fraction of the amount of anarobic decomposition (e.g.
--
fermentation) that occurred per year.  My calculations suggested that, if all
the biomass were conserved, the amount of fossil fuel known to exist could be
duplicated in only 70 years.  That is when I seriously started thinking
biofuel.  But I digress.  The point is that methane tied up as an ice-hydrate
at
the sea bottom would have to very rapidly well up to the surface, then disperse
into the air before an explosive mixture would be created.  Further, to cause
a really big explosion, the methane would have to well up from a number of
difuse points.  Just one location -- even like a volcanic eruption -- just
won't
do it because combustion would occur first at the fringes of a methane column.
 This would tend to push gas in the center of the column upward.  As that gas
came in contact with oxygen, it would ignite and burn.  Most of the heated
combustion products would rise due to thermal expansion.  That leaves a lot
less
energy than would otherwise be expected to be released laterally as an
explosion.   Remember, for example, liquid gasoline does not burn.  It is the
vapor
that ignites and only when there is sufficient oxygen to support combusion.
Consequently, I just don't see methane explosions as a concern unless we have
extraordinary instances of simultaneous and large volcanism.  And if that
happens, boys and girls, ignition of methane from the deep is likely to be the
least of our worries!

-- Jay

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM