simonswb6 wrote:

>In Aleks Foolproof method, step 18 recommends using %25 of the total
>glycerine and mix with 10% phosphoric acid.  Can you use other types
>of acids for this?  how about citric or sulfuric?  i have seen these
>mentioned when doing the bubble wash?  Should you use the same acid
>when doing the bubble wash as what was used in step 18?
>

>************ step 18 ***************
>
>18. For easier washing: Drain off the glycerine. Measure off 25% of
>the total glycerine (including previously drained glycerine if you
>followed step 15) and mix with 10 milliliters of 10% phosphoric acid
>(H3PO4) for each litre of oil/fat processed. The mixing can be done
>with a wooden spoon in a plastic container. Pour the acidified
>glycerine back into the reactor and stir for 20 minutes, unheated.
>Allow to settle for at least six hours and then drain the glycerine
>fraction completely.

Both Step 15 and Step 18 are optional, not essential. You could try
it without those steps first, if you have problems then include them.

Aleks advises:

"A 10% citric solution should be fine, but avoid sulphuric acid, as
it is too dissociated. You could also use HCl, also in a 10%
solution."

I'd stick with the same acid in the bubblewash, but note that there's
controversy over using any acid in the wash. See:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_bubblewash.html
Bubble washing - Washing problems - Using acid

There are several pages there on washing, all linked from this one
above, I suggest you give them a thorough read and then make up your
mind.

Note also that you don't have to wash biodiesel made by the Foolproof
method any special way. That's how Aleks does it, and that's fine,
but once it's settled and the by-product ("glycerine") layer at the
bottom removed, biodiesel is biodiesel and washing it is washing it,
no matter what process you used. So you can decide for yourself
what's best for you.

Best

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20.
Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM