Hi,

I like cogen. It is like getting something for nothing. In the old days one
would burn diesel and generate electricity. Next to it, one would burn diesel
and fire a boiler for hot water. Somebody finally said, hey why not use the
hot exhaust from the generator, and the heat in the coolant and heat the
water in the boiler. Two products from one! I love it.

Here in Saudi Arabia there is a big need for water. They are therefore the
world's largest producers of potable water from sea water. I don't know all
of the details, but basically they burn natural gas to produce heat to get
the potable water through an evaporative process. But, rather than do it
directly, they do it with cogen. So, they produce electricity from natural
gas and then use the waste heat from electrical production to produce potable
water. At one time they were practically giving away the electricity since
the primary product was water. Free electricity. Cogen.

I suspect that there are other processes out there that haven't been fully
exploited to similarly get something for nothing. I bet there are processes
to get more than two uses from the same energy burn, maybe three, or four. We
need to look about and THINK.

Derek

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511