craigreece wrote:
> I think I can clear up the confusion. The filter that the CAT mechanic
> may be talking about is probably a Racor LFS or Oberg type filter that
> is cleanable, and normally full flow, but if blocked, goes into bypass,
> as Aidan describes. With the consequence that all the trapped gunk gets
> shot through the engine - not a good thing.

OOK!  I didn't realize it was _that_ bad.

That the bypass valve is capable of shooting trapped gunk through the
engine tells me some very bad design went into that filter system.  I've
seen these things, and was actually considering installing one as the
full flow filter on my truck.  I had assumed the bypass valve was in the
adapter, which is removed from the filter assembly so gunk would not
backwash into the oil system.

Well, unless I find a better solution I guess I'll just keep using spin
on filters for my full flow filter.  Trouble is, if the filters for my
old engines get any rarer I'm going to have to find some way of adapting
other filters.  If that happens then I'll probably use some sort of
cleanable filter.

AP

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511