I understand corporate agriculture's abuse of GE technology as well as
the dangers of engineered microorganisms.  Since I'm neither a biologist
nor a chemist, I thought I'd solicit opinions from those in the group
qualified to answer.  Instead, I got "anything is possible" and a rebuff
for suggesting that genetic engineering has a constructive use.  In case
you haven't noticed, the GEnie is out of the bottle, and like it or not,
genetically engineered organisms are here to stay.  As with any new
technology, this has the potential for mass destruction, so it's our
duty to use it responsibly. That said; my questions remain unanswered.

Is transesterification with an alcohol and a base or acid the only way
to remove the glycerin from triglycerides?  Is it possible to destroy
the glycerin while leaving the esters intact?  Are there existing
microorganisms that will do the work of breaking the bond?
Specifically, do microorganisms like "oil eating" bacteria use the
entire oil molecule, or only part of it?  Could they be modified or
tuned to "eat" only glycerin?

Oh, and as far as the "group" being anti-GM, enlightened self interest
goes a long way to overcome objections.  Case in point: the buzz and
raves from ethanolers about Nancy Ho's "Super Yeast" a few months ago.

-BRAH

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511