> > An immediate solution for myself, right now, here in the U.S., is
>there an
> > alternative other than converting my diesel car to run on veggie oil?
>
>Yes!  Diesel (see Scania in Sweden) and non-diesel engines may be run
>on ethanol.

Yes... but trials with diesels and ethanol in California did not go
well. I have refs somewhere, I'll dig them up before tomorrow.

A much more ready answer is to use biodiesel, which requires no
engine conversion and is suitable for any diesel, with millions of
road miles behind it.

>Unfortunately 100% ethanol is not a legal motor fuel
>because it could be drunk.  It's moonshine.  The US ATF makes us
>"denature" or poision ethanol with any number of things (usually
>gasoline).  It is my hopes that they will allow us to use biodieisel
>or some other denaturant that has a lubricating quality.

Biodiesel's not poisonous, I think the denaturant has to be
poisonous. Biodiesel plus methanol maybe? You can get permits for
fuel ethanol production from the ATF, we're told it's not that
difficult.

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511