Hello Torie, welcome

Have you checked this, about using vegetable oil with direct injection engines?
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_TDI.html
The TDI-SVO controversy

As well as the previous page:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html
Straight vegetable oil as diesel fuel

This is what Ed Beggs of Neoteric Biofuels, who you bought your
system from, previously said about DI engines (from the TDI-SVO
controversy page above):

"Re TDI: I get a lot of people, especially in the USA, determined to
run brand new TDI's and PowerStrokes on WVO!

"I tell them not the best idea. They insist. Fine, free country, I
guess, but at least go two-tank, and get the best WVO you can find,
and then also thin it out 10% or so with a suitable solvent blending
agent. That's the best advice I can give to somebody who insists on
doing this.

"For the TDI crowd, well, if you really insist on doing this, then
get that oil clean, get it thinned out a bit per ACREVO, and use a
10-micron filter, then get the oil hot, on a two-tank setup.

"Your car is already very fuel efficient, and very clean. If you can
afford a newer diesel, you can afford either new SVO, diesel, or good
biodiesel, and if you run biodiesel, we'll still gladly sell you a
VEG-Therm inline fuel heater for the winter!

"So, would I myself run one of our kits on a coveted TDI of my own,
one of these days, when I can afford one?

"Yes I likely will, but it will be when the engine is out of
warranty, the car has 100,000 km on it already and is depreciated,
and it will be very good used Canola oil only, two tank, heated, and
thinned, and I'll use the 10-micron filter. That much of a chance
I'll take, but personally, not more than that."

-- Ed Beggs, Neoteric Biofuels Inc
http://www.biofuels.ca/

The ACREVO study he refers to is this one:

Report of the European Advanced Combustion Research for Energy from
Vegetable Oils (ACREVO) study of the use of straight vegetable oil as
diesel fuel. Investigates the burning characteristics of vegetable
oil droplets from experiments conducted under high pressure and high
temperature conditions. Very interesting study, worth a thorough read
(4,400 words).
http://www.nf-2000.org/secure/Fair/F484.htm

... where it says this (this is with DI engines):

"... Experiments were carried out in order to compare the atomisation
quality of rapeseed oil and rapeseed oil/alcohol with that of a
conventional fossil fuel such as diesel oil and to compare
performances in terms of soot formation and burnout along the flames
for all fuels. First of all the stability of the rapeseed oil with
the temperature was checked by thermogravimetry analysis and it comes
out that this oil is very stable up to 300¡C in inert conditions and
up to 200 deg C under an oxidative atmosphere. Due to this stability
with the temperature it is possible to preheat the oil up to 150 deg
C where it attains the same viscosity as the diesel oil. Atomisation
tests showed that at 150 deg C the performance of the rapeseed oil
are comparable with that of the diesel oil.

"The overall combustion performance of the rapeseed oil are very
satisfactory in comparison with the diesel fuel while the rapeseed
oil produces almost 40 % less soot than diesel fuel. The different
volatility of this fuel respect to the diesel fuel is responsible of
the different behaviour of the sampled gas concentrations in the base
of the flames while at the end of the flames, both attain almost the
same values. It has been established that an addition of 9 % of ethyl
alcohol (95 %) bring a great benefit regarding the pre-heating oil
temperature. In fact, the presence of alcohol allows a reduction in
the inlet oil temperature from 150 deg C to 80 deg C. Moreover, the
combustion of the emulsion produces less soot and, at the exhaust,
the amount is almost one half less than that produced by the
combustion of rapeseed oil."

I rather doubt that your fuel is reaching 150 deg C.

These issues don't apply if you use biodiesel, by the way.

Best wishes

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511