Um, Keith? Isn't there a protocol here about outright nastiness?

I think Quinn and co. have some valid points, and they're being drowned in
this exchange. I'd like it a lot if we could get back to it.

Todd and Mark, you obviously have a LOT of knowledge about what is
required to make a BD processor safe and reliable -- how about putting
your knowledge and Quinn's ideas about pushbutton processors together, and
see what you can come up with? An open sourced, mostly automatic, closed
loop processor that could be made from scrap and off-the-shelf parts would
seem to be the best of both worlds, to me, and I'm not thinking about
breaking a nail -- I'm thinking about making a process independent of
particular individuals, so that a small scale co-op could train and trust
any member to operate the equipment. A pushbutton alone wouldn't do it, of
course.

The water-heater processor seems to come close, and it would be trivial to
add some process automation to such a small scale system.

The most heinous part of these off-the-shelf processor hucksters, to my
newbie's eyes, is the attempt to make the chemistry look trivial or
secondary when it is of course the core of the process. I suspect that one
can make good fuel in a PETE conical tank, even rather safely, if one
takes precautions, but I can't imagine that someone sold on the idea of a
turnkey processor would be nearly as rigorous in their chemistry than
someone who took the time to learn this from the ground up, or have
anything like a real understanding of what was going on in the reactor. If
they did, fine -- it's hard for skills to be seriously compromised by the
available tools, since someone who knows what they're doing will just make
do or adapt -- but I worry that the turnkey or pushbutton approach means
selling the "ease" of a process which really requires some in-depth
training to carry out reliably.

And, yeah -- it's three grand.

- Nathan

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511