This is a good argument for renewable energy in general.  Other than in
the actual manufacture of the equipment, wind, solar, tidal, and
hydroelectric power generation create no wastewater.  Eliminate the
water used and sullied by coal mining and coal-fired power plants, and
you could flush your old toilet from now until kingdom come and still
have enough water for that lush and thirsty rectangle of St. Augustine
in front of your house.

Just as decentralization is the solution to our fuel crisis, it is the
solution to our water crisis as well.  If every house had efficient
rainwater and greywater collection and storage systems as well as
rational xeriscaped yards, then the need for municipal water supply and
treatment systems would be supplemental at worst and superfluous at
best.

-BRAH