Low-Cost Windpower Generators Run on a Breeze

Date :        20030708

Shinko Electric Co. has developed a small, low-cost windpower
generator for residential use. Designed with a vertical axis wind
turbine, the system can be installed on residential rooftops and in
backyards and at small commercial facilities. It could also be used
to provide backup electricity for communications equipment during a
disaster.

Japan's geography makes wind conditions less than ideal in many
places for wind power generation. The annual average wind speed in
many residential areas is less than four meters per second, and wind
direction is not constant.

But with its vertical axis, this wind turbine can generate power with
wind from any direction. The system is also suitable for installing
in dense residential areas, since it is nearly silent when in
operation. The turbine starts turning with a minimum windspeed of 0.5
meters per second, and starts generating electricity at two meters
per second, just enough to move the leaves on trees. The system's
simple design, requiring no starter motor, makes the low cost for the
unit possible.

The price range for the basic system is between 200,000 and 400,000
yen (about U.S.$1,700 to $3,300). The company plans to start selling
the system in October 2003. It will be sold as a kit, which
purchasers can assemble and install easily by following the
instructions on a video included with the kit.

----

... because, interesting though it appears, this company does not
have a good reputation here for their way of doing business. They
franchise dealerships, and dealers have to commit in advance to an
annual sales quota which is apparently rather high, with nasties in
the small-print if you don't meet the quota. So we've been informed.

They don't respond to email inquiries, or at least not to ours nor to
others we know of, and we can't find any later information on these
windpower generators. Still, it might be of some interest as it seems
to come close to what you're looking for. There are a couple of
pictures of it here:
http://www.shinko-elec.co.jp/NewsRelease/new_0082.htm

A power chart here:
http://www.shinko-elec.co.jp/windpower/product/chara.html

A system diagram here:
http://www.shinko-elec.co.jp/windpower/product/construction.html

... and not much else except some purportedly pretty new artwork and
hey! - a Flash cover (yawn).

Best

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511