-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 8:04 PM
To: Bryan Brah
Subject: fear crushes us all down

[EMAIL PROTECTED] Wrote:

>We fear change in america,yet change is what we need and it will mess
our little world up before it gets right.If these co-ops >folded and
more "farmers" were needed to fill the hole left by big brother,good.

I disagree.

The way that a cooperative is supposed to work, is that the co-op buys
something from a wholesaler, and charges just enough to its members to
pay for it and cover operating costs.  The co-op system was originally
established and applied by farmers to obtain seed, water and equipment,
but has been expanded to cover a wide range of products and services
(Sam's Wholesale club is ostensibly a co-op).    Electricity co-ops are
different in that they buy and sell electricity, and are bound by
certain state and federal regulations, which incidentally differ from
those established for utility companies.  The problem is that many
utility co-ops have in effect become for-profit utility companies and
they aren't held accountable by regulators or members.  This isn't
universally true, but is becoming more the rule.  I don't know the exact
situation of this Iowa co-op, but it's irrelevant to this discussion.

Say this farmer and a few of his buddies succeed in shutting down the
co-op.  Who is going to provide electricity to people who can't afford
their own turbines, or will the farmer just step in and become the new
utility company?   Do you really think that this guy will set up new
service and maintain existing service, and if so how much do you think
he'll charge for the privilege of buying his power?  Since it's obvious
he doesn't have storage capacity, how will he prevent brownouts and
blackouts?  How hard will it be for him to comply with federal and state
regulations as a utility provider, or do you also advocate scrapping
these regulations?

Here's another situation, imagine that the co-op doesn't go out of
business, but instead is forced to pass on the cost of electricity to
its members.  Imagine yourself as a rural electricity consumer; would
you be willing to pay one and a half to two times as much for
electricity to subsidize the cost of your neighbor's $45K wind turbine?

It seems to me that what you're advocating is just replacing one master
with another.  This is a very unreasonable position and leads me to
believe that you either didn't think about the outcome of your
suggestion, or that you're trolling.

-BRAH

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511