Keith, thanks for posting this.

The article, however, left considerable doubt as to
what the two sides are really arguing about.

First, I think the term "anti-migrant plan" is a
misnomer; the text states that the SUSPS (Sierrans for
US Population Stabilization) believes that long-term
population policy for the United States is an
essential to component of long-term US environmental
policy.

I don't see how anyone could reasonably disagree with
this, given that population stabilization has long
been identified by most governments and NGOs as the
single most serious global challenge to achieving a
sustainable socio-economic world.

The article quotes many opponents of SUSPS labeling
them as "right wing extremists" and "fascists."  But I
see no acknowledgement whatsoever on their part that
population is indeed an important issue, and one which
the is not explicitly on the US government's policy
agenda.

I've looked at SUSPS's website, and I don't see them
advocating any simplistic solutions, but rather
wanting to raise the profile of this issue for debate.
 Naturally, this is threatening, by its controversial
nature.  But that's not a reason to ignore the issue.
Instead, the Club should seek to engage all Americans
on this question because, if rapid, sustained
population growth does threaten our ecosystems, then
it concerns everyone.

However one feels about this issue, I think we'd all
agree that current global population trends are not
sustainable.  Just as our economic system is not
sustainable, in it's current form.

I took a look at the SUSPS website, and they don't
seem overtly extremist.  Clearly they focus on
immigration, legal and illegal, as the principal
source of US population growth.  Whether they are just
stating fact or have a hidden racist agenda isn't
clear to me. However, they are raising an important
policy issue that the Sierra Club used to address and
dropped.  From SUSPS's site:

"SUSPS‡˛was formed in 1996 after the Sierra Club
reversed its 30-year comprehensive population policy
which addressed both the impacts of fertility and mass
migration on U.S. population growth. SUSPS's founders
created the grassroots SUSPS network to express the
concerns of thousands of Sierra Club members at the
Club's departure from long-term environmental policy.
SUSPS believes that, in conformity with past Sierra
Club environmental policy and the very roots of the
environmental movement, the large contribution of
over-immigration to the rapid growth in U.S.
population must not be ignored."

I don't see how that "threatens" the open, grassroots,
democratic process of the Club.

In my experience, the Sierra Club can be a
bureaucratic, entrenched, and untransparent
organization, unresponsive to members' interests.

good for SUSPS for injecting a little debate.

thor skov

Message: 24