<x-charset ISO-8859-1>>Thor,

>On the issue of stabilization of population and sustainability I have to
>agree, but I think that neither you or I agree with the existence of a
>SUPS. This because it is not really an US issue, nor will we solve that
>problem by only restricting population growth. It is a problem that
>basically growth out of poverty and disparity, not the other way around.

Indeed yes, Hakan. Over-population, where it actually exists - that
is, where it's not just marginalisation - is a symptom, not a cause.
Often, side by side with alleged over-population, you also find
large, under-utilised, virtually depopulated estates with very low
productivity.

As for population and sustainability, some months back there was a
flurry of news items announcing that we'd overstepped the mark -
humans now occupied more land in terms of resources used than the
planet had room for. This was based on the latest research in
eco-footprinting, but what the reports actually showed was a huge
disparity, similar to the  other disparities of wealth/poverty and
energy use for instance. Poor nations for the most part have small
eco-footprints, rich nations take up much more than both their fair
share and their national share: rich people live off other people's
land.

So you're quite right, it's a problem of poverty and disparity, not
the other way round.

This doesn't mean we now all have to live like church mice. It does
mean we have to find better ways for all of us, and such ways exist,
as we know. Endless economic growth and worldwide consumerism have no
future. We do have a future, we humans, and so do our biosphere and
our planet.

>It
>is not many developed countries with distributed wealth and high living
>standard, that not have an opposite problem, with a too low nativity
>instead. China is interesting, because it is the only country that control
>nativity successfully, without a very high and distributed living standard.

I don't think it has been very successful, excepting at the
superficial level. There are some critical problems. Chairman Mao is
I think still credited (?) in the Guinness Book of Records as being
the all-time world champion mass murderer, but at the same time he
positively encouraged population growth, with IIRC between 300
million and 500 million extra Chinese as the result, over quite a
short period. China is now approaching a stage where a large portion,
or even the majority, of the population will be old, beyond working
age. All at once. An unprecedented burden. The more recent "one-child
policy", which is what you're referring to, has had a different
effect. While population growth has indeed been cut, it's been very
uneven, in a couple of ways. First, it applied more to the poorer
classes without the ready cash to pay the bribes required to break
the rules and get away with it. Second, the endemic and extreme
Chinese patriarchy has meant that babies tended not to survive
somehow unless they were boys. As a result of that, there are large
numbers of "excess" young males and no women for them. Which might
indeed have the result of cutting population growth even further, but
of course it's not as simple as that. Meanwhile, to make it worse,
trafficking in women and girl children - slavery - continues in China
at high levels. And at least 250 million rural workers are
unemployed, a "floating" labour force, ripe for exploitation - also
slaves, very often, in effect. Chuck in a few more ingredients - no
unionism, no human rights, AIDS - and you have the makings of a
picture that doesn't bear many of the hallmarks of "success".

>If we can solve the environmental, health and social problems, it is very
>likely that nativity problems becomes easier to deal with and will have a
>natural solution. I am against an organization like SUPS in an industrial
>country, it is discriminating and not necessary. I have difficulties to
>argue against China's model, if it is temporary tool to bring the country
>at a level here it not longer is needed. It does not necessary mean that I
>like it, because of the dictate model and the human tragedies that it must
>lead to. It is difficult problems in developing countries. In US it is not
>a real problem, it is a luxury and maybe a wealth distribution problem. If
>people feel secure and happy, the nativity goes down automatically. If it
>still is a problem in the richest country in the world, it is some other
>important defects in that country's economical, social and political
>structure. US is the only country, on the top 20 developed countries, that
>in this case have problems with too high nativity, instead of the opposite.

And much the highest levels of poverty and hunger.

The best way to decrease population growth in developing countries,
with the best range of ripple effects and spin-offs for the community
as a whole, is to do whatever needs to be done to educate the women.

Regards

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511