<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Bob,

> but  is it really a problem?  I would be more concerned about carbon
> monoxide, undetectable, than acrolein, which has a very acrid irritating
> odor, and hence detectable.

I would tend to believe that acrolein is more of an emissions problem at the
stack than as an indoor pollutant in all but the worst homemade furnaces.

Just as biodiesel has gone through its regulatory hoops in order to achieve
acceptability, so too would boilers and furnaces that might burn the
glycerin cocktail. To date the commercial units are only rated as acceptable
(by the US EPA) for waste motor oils, hydraulic and transmission fluids.

I imagine another series of tests would need to be conducted to achieve a
rating suitable for the combustion of glycerin or mixed glycerin. And even
if that test weren't conducted to meet EPA standards, it probably should be
done to some degree just from a knowledge standpoint to know whether a
problem is actually being resolved (disposal of the glycerol) or another
problem is actually being created (undue acrolein emissions).

Todd Swearingen