Keith Addison wrote:

> (robert's comments here:)
> >    Further, the fertilization / pesticide / herbicide cycle harks
> back
> >to the 19th century idea that putting something into the soil means
> you
> >can take something out of it.

(Keith's response:)

> Well, that's true, but...

    (memory loss admission from robert)

> >(I can't remember from whence that
> >originated.)

    (Keith's response:)

> From Baron Justus von Liebig.

    Thanks!  You are a veritable gold mine of information!

> This sums it up: "To grow a plant such as a sunflower successfully
> with chemicals, all that was necessary to know was the composition of
> the ash. If the inorganic materials were supplied as chemicals
> soluble in water and in about the proportions that they occur in soil
> water, a plant could be grown to full size and maturity in water
> cultures. Hydroponics is the modern version of the Liebig ideas."
> (Howard)

    This is basically how I remember the theory.

> And (also Howard): "The principle followed, based on the Liebig
> tradition, is that any deficiencies in the soil solution can be made
> up by the addition of suitable chemicals. This is based on a complete
> misconception of plant nutrition. It is superficial and fundamentally
> unsound. It takes no account of the life of the soil, including the
> mycorrhizal association -- the living fungous bridge which connects
> soil and sap.

    And this is what I learned in college!  (In the biology department.
There was no agriculture study where I went to school.)

> Liebig subsequently retracted these ideas, though the retraction has
> been, one can only say, censored, suppressed - it's very hard to
> find.

    <big snip>

    Wow, the retraction is impressive in its scope!  Somehow, my
Brasillian uncle understood the folly of "NPK Mentality", yet North
American universities with big agricultural studies departments continue
to promote the idea.  Therefore, places like California continue to
export soil.  (Eat a strawberry from California, then eat one from
Whatcom County, Washington, and you'll never want a California
strawberry again!)

    <another big snip>

> Quite an admission.

    Indeed!

> "Feed the soil, not the plant." Have you seen our Small Farms Library
> Robert? If not, please go there right now!
> http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html
> Small Farms Library - Journey to Forever

    Yes, I've been there and I've learned a lot!

> A fruit tree takes up an important part of the nourishment required
> for the fruit harvest in the preceding autumn.

    Oh well. . .  There's always NEXT year!

> >    A couple of weeks ago I was emptying out my own compost bin and
> >noticed earthworms in the compost!  (I have never seen an earthworm
> on
> >this property. . .)
>
> Ah, then you're well away, you'll win, only a matter of time.

    Yes, we have to keep at it.  We spent five years repairing the soil
in the planting beds at our old house, but when we were done, the weeds
didn't have a chance!  We're a very long way from that around here.

> (robert's political rant:)
>
> >    This is a very diverse forum, and many people who post here have
> >political views considerably to the left of mine.  That doesn't mean
> >their perspectives have no merit, nor is the criticism frequently
> >leveled at my country lacking in at least some truth.

    (Keith's response:)

> The great majority of it comes from Americans though.

    Criticizing our own government is something many of us see as a
birthright.  It's my privilege to disagree, and I'm very grateful that I
can do so without fear of reprisal, so long as I am not espousing
insurrection.  (Although I think Abraham Lincoln would disagree with me
there.)  That is one of many things that make America a great nation.  I
have a hard time understanding why some of us confuse disagreement with
disloyalty, or view every issue in partisan terms.

    (more of robert's commentary:)

>  We should be quicker to listen and slower
> >to respond, I think.

    (to which Keith replied:)

> Hear hear! Fortunately many Americans do have that view, I'd like to
> believe those who don't are just a minority, if a noisy one.

    I wish I could agree with you.  Sadly, I think it's the other way
around . . .

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind