Bob,

It is hard to say, many subsidies are useless and to corporations, they
should be replaced with meaningful ones. At the end it must be a
restructuring process. Otherwise the losses are going to be too high and it
is not resources, financial and human, to create completely new structure
from scratch. The restructured solution must by nature be diversified and
flexible, it is the only way to move fast enough. The attempts to force and
speed up a hydrogen economy are only signs of desperation. The technologies
are not there to support it and will not be there for the next 20 years, if
ever.

If you look at Brazil, Germany, Sweden, Denmark and a couple of other
countries (maybe also California), US could form a strong and meaningful
energy plan, which handles both energy conservation, alternative energy
sources and the transition. Even I could write an outline for an energy
plan, that is better than what US have today. The most difficult is that US
have waited too long to really address it, the time lines on almost all
issues are critical now.

The cost of the SUV tax breaks, raised from $30,000 up to $100,000 by Bush,
is enough to give away VW Lupo class vehicles to qualified users instead.
Today it is a mess of corruption and lobbying for more. It is very
difficult to see any clear energy policies. other than the military ones,
who are there to secure supplies, which are mathematically impossible in
the long run. It will be difficult for everybody to secure large supplies
in the future. With China and others competing for them now, it will not be
enough and increasingly more difficult to secure at low cost.

Hakan