Tad Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:

> >    Yikes!  What kind of "cheap pump" are you talking about?  Hydrogen
> >should be handled with utmost respect and care.  The pumps designed for
> >natural gas will work, but I wouldn't use anything designed for
> >air--including the tanks.  Stick with the composite natural gas tanks
> >for the sake of safety and PLEASE be careful!
>
> Scavenged pump from an old refrigerator. Been using it for over a year now
> in this process. The tank
> has an O2 sensor built into it now and I put a vacuum on it before I start
> filling with H2. Then
> I also bleed off a little H2 in the process under vacuum to make absolutely
> certain the O2
> has been purged. 600-700 PSI is all I get out of the pump at it's maximum
> output so it's
> nowhere near the 3000 PSI rating of the diving tank.
>
> Tad

Mr. Johnson,
while I am not a fan of the hydrogen economy, I admire your interest in the
potential and practical application (hey, I could be wrong).

However, I ask that you carefully consider the risks you are taking employing
the
wrong storage container for the task.

Please read:
http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Forms/embrittlement.htm

In particular, please note this statement:
"The most vulnerable are high-strength steels, titanium alloys and aluminum
alloys", referring to susceptibility to hydrogen embrittlement.  Virtually all
diving tanks are made from high-strength steels and aluminum alloys.

Also, this statement:
"To address the problem of hydrogen embrittlement, emphasis is placed on
controlling the amount of residual hydrogen in steel, controlling the amount of
hydrogen pickup in processing, developing alloys with improved resistance to
hydrogen embrittlement, developing low or no embrittlement plating or coating
processes, and restricting the amount of in-situ (in position) hydrogen
introduced
during the service life of a part."

Diving tanks do not have a plating or coating inside them.  Your use of diving
tanks for hydrogen storage negates all the above-mentioned methods of reducing
risk.

Finally, please remember these tanks were built to store oxygen (and in some
cases
some nitrogen), which are larger molecues than hydrogen.

Unlike some hydrogen proponents, I do not even recommend the practise of using
components designed for compressed natural gas with hydrogen.  Again, CNG is
not
noted for embrittlement, and the molecules in natural gas (primarily methane),
are
much larger than hydrogen, making for potential leakage issues.

I am aware that hydrogen tends to disperse quickly and float away.  That
doesn't
mean we should count on this property as a reason to dispense with other safety
measures.

I understand that components rated for use with hydrogen tend to be somewhat
expensive, but most safety precautions incur some cost.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavours,

Darryl McMahon

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511