----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenneth Kron"

>Catching up on ancient email.

>If one continues mixing until the reaction is complete and I have not
>heard of any evidence that indicates separation is required for the
>reaction to complete and then introduces into the reactor enough acid to
>quench the sodium catalyst then I see no reason why you should not be
>able to recover the methanol before separation.

Kenneth, I can see a problem here if the process was single base and the
feedstock was high in FFA.
The addition of acid could convert the soap formed from the initial
neutralisation back into FFA. Careful monitoring of the ammount of acid
added might prevent this. Whilst FFA is a good fuel in itself its
compatability with the components of a diesel engine is highly suspect.

>In fact if you follow the "Fool proof method" then you do almost exactly
>this.  You separate the glycerin, mix it with phosphoric acid and mix it
>back into your biodiesel.  You've quenched the reaction right there and
>have everything mixed up.  If it's critical to add the acid to the
>glycerin for some reason (which I don't quite see) you should have
>plenty on hand from previous reactions.

Another way to strip some of the methanol from the raw biodiesel would be to
use glycerine from which the methanol had already been distilled..  Mix the
raw biodiesel and the glycerine. The methanol will disperse 50/50 in the
biodiesel and the glycerine. The methanol can be distilled from the
glycerine. But would it be cost effective?

Regards,   Paul Gobert.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511