I thought that the problem with excess methanol is that it's an
atmospheric pollutant- that when we compost glycerol or
somehow treat or release any wash water that contains volatile
methanol, the methanol evaporates into the atmosphere and
does some sort of damage there. I think someone mentioned
very recently on this list that the EPA would prosecute
homebrewers due to the methanol discharge into the
atmosphere (but can't afford to).

mark

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi again Todd
>
> As far as the wash-water's concerned,  water hyacinths quite
happily
> eat the first-wash water, methanol and all, clean it up nicely.
Well,
> actually it's a mix of water hyacinths and two types of
duckweed,
> about both of which there's much good information to be found
at JtF:
> http://journeytoforever.org/edu_pond.html#duckweed
> http://journeytoforever.org/edu_pond.html#waterhyacinth
>
> The washwater is innocuous enough, apart from the methanol
- no heavy
> metals or toxins, for instance, so the plants themselves remain
> usable. Both make excellent compost, and that's a satisfactory
> solution - not as satisfactory as reusing the excess methanol,
but
> you are recycling it well. Aslo the plants break the stuff down,
> they're not full of methanol and lye, and still make good
livestock
> feed.
>
> Best
>
> Keith
>

> >Maud,
> >
> >I wouldn't consider the MeOH content in the biodiesel to be
negligible. Not
> >at all.
> >
> >Unfortunately, many others consider it so.
> >
> >Simplest method to determine the volume of MeOH that
resides in the
> >biodiesel and glycerol, as well as the volume that was
consumed in reaction,
> >is to measure the volumes of alcohol laden biodiesel and
glycerol, evaporate
> >the MeOH and then measure the remaining volumes of each.
> >
> >The easiest way, IMNSHO, to determine if the MeOH volume
in the biodiesel
> >fraction is negligible is to stick one's nose over a container
and huff it.
> >(Not advised, but the point being made should be easy
enough to decipher.)
> >Without removing the alcohol you've got a fluid that has a
flashpoint
> >essentially the same as methanol, rather than the rather safe
flashpoint of
> >biodiesel.
> >
> >To test that theory, take a piece of cotton wick, anchor it in a 6
ounce
> >metal tomato paste can as if you're going to make a candle.
Fill the can
> >with MeOH laden biodiesel. Light the wick as if the can were
an oil candle.
> >Sit back and watch. Everything goes fine for a bit, that is until
the fuel
> >heats up to the boiling point of alcohol. Then you have a
runaway alcohol
> >torch.
> >
> >That's the same alochol that would "normally" get washed
down someone's
> >drain or flushed out into the back forty. The same stuff that a
lot of
> >people consider "insignificant."
> >
> >We haven't yet taken any time to quantify the average volume
of MeOH that
> >remains in the biodiesel. But it is a safe bet that the ratio is
consistent
> >between the biodiesel and glycerol fractions no matter how
much alcohol is
> >originally used. The more alcohol used in the reaction, the
more alcohol
> >will remain in the biodiesel and end up in the wastewater
stream if
> >evaporation is not conducted prior.
> >
> >Most people have probably noticed that MeOH and biodiesel
are completely
> >miscible in each other in any volume.
> >
> >If a person is worried about the energy inputs required to
recover the
> >alcohol from the biodiesel, then they should be looking at
insulation, heat
> >recovery and renewable fuels for the energy inputs.
> >
> >Todd Swearingen

ester
> >considered negligible? Is it possible to determine what
percentage
> >remains in the methyl ester and what percentage in the
glycerol? Maud

> > >Lagonisa,

> > >The reaction is not exactly reversible. "Reversability" would
require the
> > >three glycerides and the glycerol recombining. That doesn't
happen. Once
> >the
> > >glycerol is cleaved it is out of the picture.
> > >
> > >You're suggesting MeOH recovery at the point where the
reaction is complete
> > >and the glycerol has yet to settle out. However, that's not
altogether
> > >adisable due to the continual mixing of excess catalyst with
the methyl
> > >ester.
> > >
> > >If you reduce the volume of alcohol via evaporation at this
point there
> > >would be a propensity for some of the ester to fracture
("back crack") into
> > >FFAs and then convert to soap. Mind you that "back
cracking" can only occur
> > >up to the point that all the catalyst is consumed in soap
making.

> > >If you can monitor the reaction and insure that the balance
of catalyst is
> > >infintesimally small beyond what is required to guarantee
100% completion,
> > >erego yielding but a small and controlled amount of extra
soap production,
> > >then there might be some merit in extracting the alcohol
prior to the
> > >glycerin cocktail settling.
> > >
> > >Otherwise? Probably none.
> > >
> > >Todd Swearingen