A product called Everclear is a 200 proof pure grain alcohol sold hear in
the States

-----Original Message-----
From: gobie [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 2:52 AM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Phenolphthalein

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dermot"

> Thanks for the help Paul,
>
> Now I can't get ethanol except in 45 gallon drums!
> Is vodka close enough to ethanol and could I mix the phenolphthalein with
> it?
>
> Regards
> Dermot

Dermot, not being a consumer of things alcoholic I'm not sure of the proof
of vodka. 98% pure alcohol would be almost 200 proof. Don't imaging any
drink for human consumption would be that strong. Whilst working for a
pharmaceutical company once I was analysing one of their raw materials. The
analysis consisted in serial dilutions in pure ethanol with 2% hydrochloric
acid. Sucked a bit too hard on the pipette and got half a mouthful of the
brew. That night whilst eating dinner the 1st layer of skin came away from
the inside of my mouth.

You could give the vodka a try.  Soime brands of methylated Spirits sold out
here in Oz are mostly ethanol could be worth investigating.
Perhaps methanol could be substituted, the phenolphthalein definately
prefers to be disolved in alcohol. Have to be even more careful not to get
this mix on your skin though.

Regards   Paul Gobert.