>I know I have read this somewhere, but where exactly escapes me at
>the moment.
>Using sodium hydroxide as a catalyst will encourage the glycerine
>to "harden" at under 100F right? Does this mean that while
>processing I should be sure to keep the temperature ABOVE 100F and
>then drain it off about an hour after I have stopped mixing ?

"Encourage" is the right word, though it won't necessarily happen at
all. Whether it hardens and at what temp depends on a few things.
More info here:

How much glycerine? Why isn't it solid?
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#howmuchglyc

As I recall (it's been awhile), when it solidifies it takes a while
and it doesn't happen evenly, it gets lumpy first. Mostly it didn't
set, apart from a few lump sometimes. Using KOH we've never had it
solidify. I think your 100F would be a bit high, melting temp should
probably be lower than that, not quite sure of that though. I've got
some solid stuff, I could melt it and let it set again, check the
melting point, but it'll take me awhile to get round to it.

>I am building Girl Mark's Fumeless Processor using a water heater
>(30 gal capacity), and it would seem that that (100F) would be the
>way to go, although I am still not 100% certain about the draining
>the glycerine so soon after stopping the mixing.
>Any pointers ?

You're talking about the acid-base process, right? It's an optional
step (as is removing  glyc during the 2nd stage), so if you're not
happy with it you could try it first without. Your processing temp
for the 2nd stage should be 55 deg C (130F); one hour after
processing (depending on the weather) it should still be above 100F.
Most, but not quite all, the glycerine by-product will have settled
by then, but you'll be settling it properly and draining it all later
anyway.

HTH

Best

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511