>No, actually I am refering to the single stage regular type process.
>The problem I am forecasting and trying to avoid is when using a
>water pump with the water heater processor I don't want to end
>up "gumming" the pump with solidified glycerine, soooo, I figure
>that once having mixed it for about an hour or so with the methoxide
>(sodium hydroxide) and letting it settle for a couple hours then I
>should be able to extract the glycerine and then follow that with
>the BD and then wash it right ?

Are you planning to drain it or to pump it out?

Anyway, two hours' settling time isn't long enough, IMO, 12 hours or
24 would be better. Not ready for washing after only two hours.

What's your observation so far, with test batches/small batches? Does
your by-product harden? If so, how long does that take to happen?
What's its melting point?

>The original question was at what temp I should be processing but I
>think you were right about 100F being too high as in another post I
>believe around 35C-40C but then 40C is over 100F so I got to go read
>what you suggested before going any further, although 100F is not
>100C and shouldn't cause any major problems from what I remember
>reading (listen to me, the king of theory, ha!) I just don't want
>the glycerine to harden up and jam the pump that's all.

We're getting confused. I didn't say 100F (38C) is too high for
*processing*, it's not high enough, process temp should be 130F
(55C). You said the glycerine would "harden" at under 100F, and I
said I think the melting point (also the "hardening" point) would be
lower than 100F.

I'm sure the glycerine is not going to harden during processing and
jam your pump, so don't base your processing methods on avoiding
something so unlikely, but on producing the best product. At any
rate, situate the pump inlet above any likely level of settled
by-product (some may settle during processing, but most won't). The
by-product content of the small amount of processed BD remaining in
the pump is highly unlikely to jam the pump even if it does go solid.

If you let the batch settle overnight, or longer, and the by-product
happens to solidify so you can't drain it, re-heat it.

This has a bearing on the heating element you use. If it's too strong
it'll burn the oil (WVO) in pre-heating and the BD in re-heating.
List member Matt Pozzi gave us a number:

"Make a rough extimate of the element's area of contact with the  oil
(length*pi*diameter) and make sure the output will be around or less
than 3W/sq cm, this will ensure no burning of the oil whilst heating.
Elsewise you will need to stir while heating."

Obviously when re-heating settled BD you don't want to have to stir
it. So two smaller heaters might be better than one big one.

>Girl Mark says she uses potassium hydroxide rather than sodium
>hydroxide, and I would LOVE to do that but can only get it through a
>chemistry warehouse and it costs big time, which would raise my
>production costs considerably.

Also you need to use more of it. Here in Japan it's the same price as
NaOH, but still costs more because of the extra quantity needed, but
we think it's worth it and seldom use NaOH.

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511