>Robert,
>
>I would like to pass on something I learned in the last war the US
>began to prevent communism from taking over and to establish
>Democracy in a third world nation (and we lost that one rather
>badly).  I served honorably in the Vietnam War and this was my
>combat lesson in a sentence.
>
>TECHNOLOGY CANNOT BEAT IDEOLOGY!

Very succinct.

>When people are willing to run into the face of guns armed only with
>a broken stick and a willingness to die - Technology shock and awe
>is reversed against those who only bring technology onto the
>battlefield.  I know.  Let us not learn that lesson again.

Amen... But I fear it should be "Let us not fail to learn that lesson
again." Bush et al have failed to learn that. They believe the US
failed in Vietnam because of a lack of military resolve, with the
major factor in that being the old saw that the war was lost in
American living-rooms. Reagan believed the same thing. The US
military (most people's military) was fascinated by the way the
British were able to control press access during the Falklands war.
As we can see, that lesson they did learn, for better or worse -
worse, as it buttresses the failure to learn the first lesson. Sure
helps to have such a knee-jerk press too.

Anyway...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1194671,00.html
The return of people's war
Iraq shows the west and its new liberal imperialists have forgotten
the lessons of history
Monday April 19, 2004
The Guardian

Vietnamese advice to U.S.: Leave Iraq
Former foe warns of quagmire
Knight Ridder Newspapers
Wednesday, April 21, 2004

I'm reluctant to fiddle with the admirable brevity of your four-word
upsumming Art, but the word "ideology" can cause some confusion.
Whatever their political ideology might be, occupied peoples fighting
back share the common motive of rejecting occupation, and I think
that's the ideology that counts here. Perhaps the American treatment
of the British colonial superpower would illustrate that best.

Best

Keith

'

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511