Are these people selling biodiesel legitimately, meaning, collecting
the proper taxes?  Or is it under the table?  Is their fuel being
tested to ASTM standards?  My point is that if anybody can produce
good quality biodiesel, what's stopping every other person from
making it and selling it?  It's one thing to make it for your own
personal use, but I thought the big oil companies and EPA wouldn't
allow the sale of biodiesel from WVO unless it has been tested to
ASTM standards, which can be very expensive. Tom Leue from Yellow
Biodiesel had some issues with the EPA, which I'll let him comment on
if he wants to because it's not my place to talk about someone else's
operation. Tom, I hope you read this and can comment.  Jonathan.

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, girl mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >County's first biodiesel station cooks up alternative to gasoline
> >
> >Berkeley venture offers vegetable oil recycled as environmentally
friendly
> >fuel
> >
> >By Kristin Bender, STAFF WRITER
> >
> >BERKELEY -- BioFuel Oasis, the first biodiesel station in Alameda
County,
> >doesn't have a pump or those handy packaged wet wipes for your
hands like
> >a typical filling station.
> >
> >There's no squeegee to wash your windshield.
> >
> >And no place to buy coffee.
> >
> >What BioFuel Oasis of Berkeley sells is biodiesel and nothing but
> >biodiesel -- recycled vegetable oil from restaurants and potato
chip
> >factories that's making a second appearance as an alternative fuel.
> >
> >Available in only 10 retail spots in the state, biodiesel powers
any car
> >or truck that will run on diesel, including any Mercedes Benz, old
> >Volkswagens and new Volkswagen TDIs and trucks, said BioFuel Oasis
> >founders Jennifer Radtke, 33, of Oakland and SaraHope Smith, 37,
of Berkeley.

> >At $2.90 a gallon, the fuel still isn't cheaper than gas. But it's
far
> >better for the environment, producing 50 percent fewer emissions
than
> >standard diesel, studies show.
> >
> >"It's a little more expensive, but it runs clean and I find that
it
> >performs in the engine. I have a little more torque," said
biodiesel user
> >Michael Caldwell, who sells cars and drives a 2002 Volkswagen Golf
Turbo
> >Diesel GL. Caldwell averages about 40 miles to the gallon with
biodiesel,
> >far better than what a similar car with a gas engine gets, he said.
> >
> >In January 2003, Berkeley became the first city in the nation to
convert
> >to biodiesel for 200 municipal cars used by firefighters, police,
Health
> >and Human Services workers and Public Works crews.
> >
> >Last week, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency awarded the
city the
> >"environmental award for outstanding achievement" in efforts to
protect
> >the environment.
> >
> >Biodiesel is generally made from domestically produced vegetable
oil,
> >often soy oil.
> >
> >Some biodiesel users claim the fuel gives off an aroma like French
fries
> >or donuts. Radtke said it smells "like an oil fryer."
> >
> >Studies show that burning biodiesel significantly reduces the
impacts on
> >global warming, smog and asthma. The cleaner-burning fuel produces
80
> >percent less greenhouse gasses than gasoline.
> >
> >"It's simple: You can touch it, it's non-flammable, it's really
safe. It's
> >this totally amazing thing to use as fuel," Radtke said. "It's
totally
> >unlike anything you think of as fuel."
> >
> >But even in the green and clean Bay Area, biodiesel isn't widely
available.

> >According to Radtke and Smith, both members of the Berkeley
Biodiesel
proxy.cgi/010110A/http/www.biodiesel->www.biodiesel-

> >.org, the site of the National Biodiesel Board, there are fewer
than a
> >dozen retail fueling sites in California. Golden Gate Petroleum in
> >Martinez and West-
> >
> >ern States Oil in San Jose both provide biodiesel to the public.
> >
> >"We want to make biodiesel a legitimate alternative for whomever --
 for
> >soccer moms, for business people, for anyone whose values are
aligned with
> >ours, and who thinks it's the right thing to do," Smith said.
> >
> >"One of the factors (for supporting biodiesel) was we are going to
war for
> >oil. That does not compute in my sense of logic," added Smith, who
runs an
> >after-school program and does landscape gardening when she's not
working
> >at BioFuel Oasis.
> >
> >Both women drive cars that run on biodiesel. Although the partners
said
> >they are only "covering their rent" with the money they're making,
> >greenbacks can be had in sustainable fuel, said Pat O'Keefe, vice
> >president of Golden Gate Petroleum, a fuel distributor.
> >
> >"Compared to regular petroleum, it's a very small demand," O'Keefe
said.
> >"But our volume seems to be doubling every year. But it still has
a long
> >way to go. It's a small portion of our business."
> >
> >O'Keefe said there is enough demand for his company to open a
second
> >retail outlet in Richmond this summer.
> >
> >Radtke and Smith hope to install a pump this summer and generate
more
> >business. For now, they sell the biodiesel in 5-gallon
plastic "carboys."
> >The women are currently working to secure city permits and raise a
few
> >thousand dollars to upgrade the business.
> >
> >To that end, they have designed a "founding members program" to
fill the
> >piggy bank.
> >
> >"Our founding members program is our answer to non-venture
capitalism,"
> >Smith said. A donation buys a spot in the "founding members
program," the
> >chance to autograph a future pump, a founding members membership
card and
> >a keepsake bottle of boutique biodiesel, possibly in a rosemary or
> >cilantro flavor.
> >
> >"Biodiesel and Sustainability" panel discussion 7 to 9 p.m. today
at
> >BioFuel Oasis, 2465 Fourth St. A $5 to $15 donation is requested.
For more
> >information on BioFuel Oasis or its hours, call 665-5509.
> >
> >Kristin Bender covers Berkeley. E-mail her at
> ><https://shannon.permutation.net/cgi-bin/nph-
proxy.cgi/010110A/mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]