Being raised on a small family farm, I would have to defend the
farmers on this issue.  These comments are my opinions and are not
based on any research.  I will admit that I have heard of
some "farmers" that have full time jobs off the farm that abuse the
subsidy system.  But, there are many who are legitimate full time
farmers just trying to get by another day without going under.  All a
farmer wants is to be able to sell or trade what he/she raises at a
fair price and be able to keep up with the rest of society with
regards to the standard of living.  The standard of living has a lot
to do with subsidies.  Underdeveloped countries do not have the taxes
we have here, or have to spray with EPA approved pesticides that can
cost $300/gallon.  Tractors that can cost $120,000 are a necessity
and not a luxury.  Many times if you drive by an operating farm, you
may see a plain house, nothing fancy, maybe in some need of repair.
Then you look at the equipment that the farmer needs to complete the
work, and you might have 3-4 times the value of the house sitting in
the barn.  Many people do not understand the overhead that a farmer
has to pay for.  With inflation raising the costs for everything
around the farmer, that has to come off the bottom line which eats
into whatever profits he/she made.  A perfect example:  when my
father started farming 30 years ago, green bell peppers were selling
for 4/$1.00.  Take a guess what they are selling for today?  Four for
a $1.00.  And people still ask why the price is so high.  People want
cheap food.    Today's farmers are making less than they were 50
years ago.  This is partly due to automation of everything and the
law of supply/demand.  The same bale of cotton produced in the U.S
costs a lot less to produce in underdeveloped countries.  It takes a
lot to be a farmer.  Few, if any vacation days, low pay, high stress,
working in all weather conditions.  Paid sick time?-Ha, where?  I
personally don't think that people nowadays appreciate how and where
their food comes from.  With transportation nowadays, you can get
whatever vegetable or fruit you want whenever you want in the
supermarkets.  Personally, I like to can and freeze most of my
produce because it tastes better.  Sorry, got off on a tangent.  Has
anybody ever heard the old saying, "dumb farmer"?  Quite the opposite
is true.  Farmers have to be highly intelligent in order to survive
financially.  Every day they are thinking, how can I save time or
money on this job?  Is there a different or better way of doing
this.  They find ways, invent items, and try to find their own niche
to carve out and survive. I believe they really do love their work,
because who would put themselves through everything that they have to
put up with?  Didn't mean to ramble Keith, but I tend to get long
winded about things I feel strongly about.  Jonathan.

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Those Illegal Farm Subsidies
>
> Published: April 28, 2004
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/28/opinion/28WED1.html?th
>
> America's lavish handouts to its farmers harvest poverty throughout
the developing world. And they are illegal as well. That's the
conclusion of a World Trade Organization panel that heard Brazil's
challenge to the cotton subsidies that belie this nation's commitment
to free and fair trade.

> Cotton is far from the only crop that American farmers are able to
dump on the international market at low prices thanks to federal
subsidies. But it is one of the most outrageous cases. Brazil was
wise in choosing it as the first target in the developing world's
challenge of the roughly $1 billion a day in subsidies that rich
nations dole out to their farmers. If the preliminary ruling stands,
as expected, it may mean the beginning of the end for European and
American practices that provide their farmers an unfair advantage.

> In addition to Brazil, an agricultural superpower, some of the
world's poorest nations, including the West African republics of
Mali, Benin and Burkina Faso, are vindicated by the W.T.O.'s
decision. Cotton is West Africa's cash crop, the one economic
activity in which the region has a competitive advantage. By
underwriting much of the costs of America's 25,000 cotton farmers
with checks that can total $3 billion a year, Washington erases that
advantage. Aided by American experts who are critics of this warped
system, Brazil convincingly argued that in the absence of subsidies,
the United States would have produced and exported substantially less
cotton than it did in recent years. Consequently, growers elsewhere
would have enjoyed greater market share and higher prices.

> The glaring contradiction between American farm subsidies and the
principles underlying the global trade system has long posed a moral
and political problem for Washington. Now it is also a legal problem.
Instead of digging in its heels and spending years appealing the
panel's ruling, the Bush administration needs to seize upon it as a
reason to negotiate the surrender of rich nations' trade-distorting
farm subsidies.

> The administration has a mixed record on this issue. It offered
proposals to start weaning corporate farmers off their subsidies two
years ago ÷ admittedly after approving a farm bill that
exacerbated
the problem. Then it backed away in the face of strong opposition
from Congress and the European Union. That retreat not only hurt the
poor nations' farmers, but also American taxpayers, consumers and
most business interests, including more competitive farmers.

> The W.T.O.'s talks on the further liberalization of trade faltered
over the subsidy issue at Cancœn last year, but this week's ruling
will vastly strengthen the position of Brazil and others advocating
the dismantling of agricultural subsidies that distort trade. The
sooner they prevail, the better.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511