>--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Glycerol remix is a University Of Idaho invention I believe.

Hm, you're right, or at least the add-water version is, or might be.
I keep forgetting about it, which is odd, considering it's been on
our website for three years, ever since the University of Idaho
dropped it from their site. It's the ethanol method:
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethyl_esters.html
Ethyl Ester Process
Optimization of a Batch Type Ethyl Ester Process

Actually I don't think of it as a "glycerol remix" so much as a water
mix. I tested it once a couple of years ago and found it didn't make
any difference (in the archives somewhere). It says this: "Upon
initial settling, some of the undesirable, emulsion-forming
by-products may remain in the ester layer, causing problems in the
washing stage. It was discovered (by tracking the process with a
glycerol determination) that most of these products could be removed
by simply restirring the glycerol into the ester, adding water and
letting the mixture settle out again. After draining off the
glycerol/water layer, the product (ethyl ester) can be easily
water-washed to remove residual alcohol and potassium." I concluded
it might be useful if you weren't getting good completion, probably
because of the ethanol. I'm not too interested in "easier washing"
anyway (nor is Aleks, nor is Todd) - look to your processing if
you're having washing problems rather than sticking a band-aid on it.

Ken doesn't seem to be looking for "easier washing" though, quicker
maybe, and doesn't see it as getting round a completion problem: "...
there's practically no alkali, no soap, and no alcohol left in it."
Fair enough. Is that with ethyl esters Ken?

Mark, how do you square this technique with what you were saying
about having severe washing problems if you happened to get some
glycerine by-product in the wash tank with the biodiesel? But you did
say somewhere the glycerol remix doesn't work for you. Why not? What
happens?

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511