Hi Ken

>on 5/1/04 8:43 PM, Kevin Shea at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there a way to speed-up the water-biodiesel wash during
> > the "settling of washing the fuel?  I've read the bubble
> > washing techniques & understand it, but for the best quality
> > of biodiesel, it can take up-to-a-week, with several washes.
>
>One thing you can do that really helps A LOT (and is still
>not widely practiced for some reason) is the so-called
>"glycerine wash" step. After the glycerine separation occurs,
>you re-agitate the mix and let it settle again. Repeat a 2nd
>time. Then add some water (maybe 15% by volume) very gently,
>and very gently stir up the mix again. (You'd think this would
>form an emulsion, but it doesn't -- the glycerine still being
>in there prevents it). Repeat several times, letting the
>glycerine/water/alcohol phase settle out between remixes.
>When you finally take the biodiesel off the top, there's
>practically no alkali, no soap, and no alcohol left in it.
>
>I do this manually every batch, followed by a quick hot
>water bulk wash and a 8-12 hour bubble wash, and I can easily
>get from WVO to fuel in the car in 4 days. And most of that
>is just working around other things in my schedule. If you
>automated it, the whole thing could be done in 2 days,
>I suppose.....      -K

That comes from here:

[... when the processing's finished]

17. Allow to settle for one hour.

18. Optional: For easier washing: Drain off the glycerine. Measure
off 25% of the total glycerine (including previously drained
glycerine if you followed step 15) and mix with 10 milliliters of 10%
phosphoric acid (H3PO4) for each litre of oil/fat processed. The
mixing can be done with a wooden spoon in a plastic container. Pour
the acidified glycerine back into the reactor and stir for 20
minutes, unheated. Allow to settle for at least six hours and then
drain the glycerine fraction completely.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_aleksnew.html
Foolproof biodiesel process: Journey to Forever

It's been there for a long time.

Best

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511