Hi Pierre

>Keith,
>
>I was thinking of building a 4-5 foot high solar cooker to heat a
>black-painted drum of veg oil.
>
>Ever try it?
>
>Pierre

No, never tried it, but don't let that stop you. Lots of people have
talked about using solar heat for pre-heating WVO, but, offhand, the
only cases I know of people doing it are when they leave the
containers outside in the sun. You're thinking of a box cooker? Kim
suggests a parabola. There are resources and links at our website,
for boxes and parabolas - Designing and building home made focusing
solar cookers, Parabola Design Wood Model, A Tracking Solar
Concentrator.
file://localhost/Handmade/Desktop%20Folder/JTF%20web%20%C4/JTF/sc_link.html
Solar Cooker Resources on the Web: Journey to Forever

There's also this: "Parabola Calculator - About This Program: The
purpose of this program was to try to find a simple way to calculate
the (x, y) coordinates of the points along the curve of a parabola,
so folks could easily make their own solar collectors with reasonable
efficiency." The program also includes links to further parabola and
solar resources on the web. If you or anyone else is interested in
beta-testing this program, please contact me offlist. Windows-only,
Windows 95 or later. It works but needs more beta-testing.

Best wishes