Kim & Garth Travis wrote:
> Well I am not Keith, but I do use solar cooking methods on a continuous
> basis.  I think you are looking at using a parabolic dish style solar
> cooker.  There are examples of this style on the web as being used to cook
> for whole villages or schools.  The can produce heat in the 600-800 degree
> F range.  I have one I use with my wok.  This dish can burn your eyes out
> and start a major fire in a heart beat if you are not extremely
> careful.  The dish should be stored indoors if not in use, since if it
> blows from its resting place in a storm, when the storm passes, it will
> start a fire.
>
>   Now I am done with the warnings, the parabolic does work very well for
> heating large quantities of liquid but it does have a very focused heat
> point so a heavy metal plate on the bottom of the barrel might be a great
> way to heat the oil.
>
> Unfortunately I had a computer crash a while ago and no longer have the
> website handy that I got my directions from, but there were lots of sites
> to choose from.  Good luck.
>
> Bright Blessings,
> Kim
[snip]

http://www.amasci.com/amateur/mirror.html

        This is a snazzy device I've been meaning to try for a variety of
reasons, steam generation, desalination, melting stuff etc etc. If this
was used, your comment above about a heavy metal plate at the focal
point would be relevant.

        Regards,
                Andrew Lowe