List members,

I wanted to take a minute of your time to thank the list collectively for the
kind offers of assistance which numbered over a dozen.

Most all of the advice was very useful.

With that being said, I have learned something valuable that I feel the need to
pass on to those current and future list members who may be buying 80's model
mercedes cars.

The car I bought has a problem where the inside of fuel tank is flaking off
small metal fragments.  A local owned, private Mercedes shop [mechanic named
Dietmar- go figure!] said this condition occurs when an older benz has been
sitting up for a year plus.

Dietmar highly suggested the replacement of the old tank. 300TD models have a
special fuel tank that can only be bought through a mercedes dealership.  $550
ea!  no aftermarket fuel tanks for the wagons!  Dietmar said the 300D's are
easy to get new fuel tanks for however.

My suggestion for future benz buyers is this, buy the old cars, but only if
they have been driven daily and you are 100% sure that the car has not been
sitting for months on end.

the car also had a serious mold problem in the same fuel tank/ system.

Thanks, Michael