Hi Nick, Jeremy

>I'm new to the group but the safest way to heat would be a heat
>exchanger system where you heat water then pipe the hot water or
>steam to your processor then either recycle /circulate back to your
>heater, Maybe not suitable but how do you heat water now, maybe you
>could pipe some of your existing water to heat the oil.
>just some thoughts and looking to make some biodeisel myself when I
>move into my own home
>Regards
>Nick

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/29337/

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/29341/1/

(The whole thread's linked from the table above the message.)

Plenty more on this in the archives.

Re water heaters, the usual processing temperature is 130-135 deg F,
household hot water might not be hot enough. Todd posted this to
another group a few months ago (pardon me, Todd) - it might not apply
to Jeremy's case since he's off-grid, but still:

-----

I don't know much about gas-powered hot water heaters. If you're not
happy about it, you could pre-heat the oil in a separate tank and
then pump it into the processor once it's hot enough. You could use
an open flame for that (we do) just as long as there's no methanol
around, in any form. Once methanol comes into the picture, no more
open flames. This then leaves you with the much smaller problem of
maintaining the temperature, which doesn't take much, especially if
you insulate the processor. Maybe your off-grid system could take
that?

Best wishes

Keith