Todd is right Brian. Start out with small test batches using the one
step method, and yes the Grolsch bottles DO hold up well to
methoxide.
I have taken to doing half liter test batches (500ml) instead of
full liter and simply divide everything by two. It works. I wash in
a Masson jar and use a large opaque serynge to drain,although I have
also heard of another interesting method using a soft drink bottle
(PET) for gentle washing and once turned upside down also allows for
the water to be slowly removed; a sort of valve using your thumb
thing. I have yet to try this. I attempted it with a two litter
bottle but it didn't (I) very well so not being a soft drink drinker
I now have to get ahold of a 1 liter bottle and try it.
100ml methanol wih whatever titration amounts of catalyst into the
Grolsch bottle, agitate, set, warm up your oil to processing temp
(130F) and get the blender ready. Once the methopxide is completely
ready and the oil is still at 130F put it in the blender and turn it
on(put the lid on) open the little central pop up top in the middle
and slowly add the methoxide, set your timer to 15-18 minutes and
once done pout into whatever settling container you have decided on.
After seperation, wash the biodiesel using your method of choice and
set aside the glycerine for further use (soap, methoxide recovery
ect... apparently it is also a top rate degreaser, although I've not
tried that yet)

Have fun.

Luc

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Appal Energy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Brian,
>
> You really ought to heed the advice of others and practice
considerably with
> the straight base process before moving to acid/base.
>
> Doing so will familiarize you with what to expect and what
transpires when
> basic principles aren't adhered to. Those "mistakes" also give
better
> understanding of how and where adjustments can be made and for
what reasons.

> People who put the cart before the
>
> Todd Swearingen

Do the